Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Continent of Amalga

Post The Continent of Amalga

Here is my latest attempt at mapping the Continent of Amalga. It's not quite done but I figured now is the best time to get some feedback. All concerns, criticisms and advice are welcome!

Hmm, it seems the upload is converting my file to JPEG (from PNG)... here's a link to the same file on my deviant art account (it has better clarity).

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMALGA!!! 4.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	661.3 KB 
ID:	18343  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks pretty nice to me...the mountain symbols may be a bit on the 'heavy'/thick' side.

Are you going to add forest, swamp or hill symbols?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Looks pretty nice to me...the mountain symbols may be a bit on the 'heavy'/thick' side.
    Really? Hmm, I could decrease their opacity, would that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Are you going to add forest, swamp or hill symbols?
    I would love to but I'm unsure how to go about that. Forests are easy, just make a Tree symbol and dot it around but Swamps not so sure.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the colors and I can see a fancy frame really setting this off. Something about the mountains is a bit off, not sure if it's the thick feel or the darkness or the black color of them. Maybe try a gray or something in a dark brown. Maybe it's the repetitiveness, shrug. I'm really at a loss but the main thing is that they are too prominent and stand out too much.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I like the colors and I can see a fancy frame really setting this off. Something about the mountains is a bit off, not sure if it's the thick feel or the darkness or the black color of them. Maybe try a gray or something in a dark brown. Maybe it's the repetitiveness, shrug. I'm really at a loss but the main thing is that they are too prominent and stand out too much.
    I'll see what I can do for a nice frame

As for the mountains Here's a quick change over to more of a gray (still working on a brown).

Views:	128 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	18345  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the gray, you might give lowering the opacity a shot and see how it turns out.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

How's this?

Views:	93 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	18349  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I think i've finally put my finger on what seems off with the mountains (at least to me). It's the dark shading. the darkened portion (left mountainside) is too uniform, there's nothing that really breaks it up.
    It might be because I've gotten used to hand drawing them with lines, there's breakup in the pattern that way. In these, the shadow areas are solid.

Not really sure how to change that without doing a lot of work. perhaps a layer style with a pattern overlay of a broken up set of lines..

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    I think i've finally put my finger on what seems off with the mountains (at least to me). It's the dark shading. the darkened portion (left mountainside) is too uniform, there's nothing that really breaks it up.
    It might be because I've gotten used to hand drawing them with lines, there's breakup in the pattern that way. In these, the shadow areas are solid.

Not really sure how to change that without doing a lot of work. perhaps a layer style with a pattern overlay of a broken up set of lines..
    Hmm, I see what you mean.

Here's my first try at adding definition to the shaded side:

Name:	like this.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	18351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	try 2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	18352  
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 11-05-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Thank you everyone for all the help you've rendered! You guys have been great!

Ok here's the latest version of the map, it implements many of the great tips you've posted!

I hope you like it

Name:	AMALGA!!! 4 copy.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	18354  
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 11-05-2009 at 04:05 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast