Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Velaedin Empire

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ramah-esque with a Tear flair...so far looks good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks much! Probably obvious, but this one is indeed heavily inspired by Ramah's Vaniya/Aronbor maps.

That's really cool...you seem to have a great grasp of how mountain ranges work. Looks like real geography.

Blog Entries

Cool, I've never had a "esque" before.

I sure feel your pain regarding drawing mountains, Gidde. Well, actually it wasn't the mountains that were bad on Aronbor, they are a quick and easy style, but the hills took me hours and hours. It's the reason I posted so many updates on Aronbor - each post is like a mini-goal that you've reached and it makes you feel like you are actually achieving something even though the work may appear minimal to others.
    Your mountains look really good though so I'm sure that in the end your labours will be worth it.

I prefer the darker blue you now have for your seas btw. Looking forward to watching this progress.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Next update: finished the mountains and started the hills, wanted to post it up for comment before I went too far with hills.

@Kronski: Thanks! Especially since I live in one of the flattest spots in the US

@ Ramah: That's really funny, because I seem to be having the opposite experience; just started the hills and they're going a LOT faster than the mountains did. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Holy wow! Take a little break and they change the whole forum on ya!

After much fussing and a dead end on city icons, I've got my tree brushes done and started filling in forests. Also did some more light coloration here and there.

It looks great so far! The level of detail is stunning and definitely requires the full-view. Everything looks like it was carefully penned in ink--though I think the rivers are a little too smooth. You have a rogue hill on the top border!

Thanks! That's exactly the look i'm trying for. I noticed that rogue hill right after I posted, it's gone for the next post. I'm not quite sure what you mean by smooth, but I do plan on aging/bleeding the ink for the final. Would that help, or did you mean smooth as in their course rather than their depiction?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it, but what appears to be a crinkled/wavy look to the map is a bit distracting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks SG, and I think you're probably right ... I'll take the crinkles out for now and wait to put them in until I do the rest of the grungifying work at the end, if then.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast