Thread: Unnamed world [WIP]

Wip Unnamed world [WIP]

Hi All,

Figured i'd start a new thread because i've finally decided on a world and its so different from the others I posted

This world is going to be roughy 3/4 the size of earth (30,000km circumference)
    So far all I have done is the main shape of the land using Ascesions tutorial and the land shape created by FT demo and eroded in Wilbur.

The land mass was created at 20000x10000 pixels because it gave me better looking clouds but was downsized to 10000x5000 pixels before saving because the file would have been 3Gb in size, which CS4 can't handle This gives me a scale of 1 pixel = 3km which is good enough for a world

(Attachment is halved in size again, scuse the compression)

I haven't spent too much time on the ocean yet so please ignore it

The mountains will be created using a variation on Pasis' mountains (I did a bit of testing off to the RHS you can see) and my own style of trees (which is probably a variation of someone elses tutorial I picked up by osmosis )

Anywho, input is appreciated! This will be slow work but hopefully I get something reasonable out of the experience!

How do the basic climates look? Realistic? I haven't tweaked it yet, need to do a bit of research...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_SMALL working New World.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	18353  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

There's a few threads on here that deal with climate in a rather detailed way ... here's the short short version for this step: There's a band of jungle around the equator, surrounded by 2 bands of desert, one centered on each of the tropic lines (23 degrees north and south). I'm working on a similar world map, so I made a modified gradient that takes the latitude climate zones into effect (you'll still need to modify for mountains/currents if you want true realism). The gradient's attached. The colors are slightly modified from the atlas tutorial: light green is a temperate zone, and the dark green is jungle.

If you want a reasonably detailed look at world-building climate resources, Karro and Korba both have wonderful process threads on which I based my own work-in-progress world ()
    Korba: Calen Ndor
    Karro: [Unnamed World]
    Mine is in my signature, if you're curious.

There may also be others more recent than the three of us; I've been somewhat quiet on the boards this semester due to school, though, so I've likely missed the majority of them.

If you want to get really detailed with all aspects of worldbuilding, there is a wonderful resource here: http://www.cix.co.uk/~morven/worldkit/index.html#geo

Or, if you just want to worry about climate alone, right now, the Climate Cookbook, which is a part of that worldbuilding resource, is a great place to start.

-asp
    My current worldbuilding experiment(s):
    Geidor
    --------------------------------------------

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
    -W.B. Yeats

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the Climate tips and links Some of these threads are known to me and I have been carefully studying, but some are new so are much appreciated

Will try out that gradient and see how it comes out Thanks!

Ill be posting my work on climate/temperatures/rainfall etc shortly, but to save my sanity I played around a bit with my ocean

I got this result from using the height map generated by Wilbur soft lighted with the ocean layer (with the land masked out).

What do you think? Too much?
    I guess its a bit hard to tell if it looks right because I haven't done much on the land yet

Using CS4's cool new 3D features, I turned my world into a globe to have a look for any polar distortion. It looks ok to me There will be a polar ice cap at north and south so those pointy bits of land will be hidden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_SMALL working New World.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	18369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	np.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	901.0 KB 
ID:	18370  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the ocean so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Lookin' good