Thread: More buildings

Post Seamless buildings texture

I was messing around a bit today and I came up with something. There's probably a hundred of these floating around here already, so now there's a hundred and one.

It's a seamless building texture... basically select the pieces where you want buildings, and fill it. Then clean up the edges. I'll also attach a sample of what I did with it, and maybe you can help me improve it some.

-IG

Name:  building-fill.png
Views: 376
Size:  2.2 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fill-sample.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	18543
    Last edited by industrygothica; 11-11-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Pretty cool. The repetition isn't terribly obvious when you break it up like that. Anything that makes building a city easier is wicked awesome.

The only issue I'd have with using something like this is that there isn't any "organization" to the buildings. I was trying to imagine some way to change that...but can't with a repeating tile. I think you'd have to do something more like the "geomorphs" TSR and some others came out with back in the day.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Pretty cool. The repetition isn't terribly obvious when you break it up like that. Anything that makes building a city easier is wicked awesome.

The only issue I'd have with using something like this is that there isn't any "organization" to the buildings. I was trying to imagine some way to change that...but can't with a repeating tile. I think you'd have to do something more like the "geomorphs" TSR and some others came out with back in the day.
    M
    This texture is not really meant to place all your buildings strategically, but to give you something to work with without have to draw each one individually.

With a hard edged brush and eraser, you can easily modify a building here and there to change the orientation and give it a more organized feel. You can take some away and add more detailed buildings...

It's not perfect by any means, and it won't get you a city without having to put a bit of work into it... but it does provide a place to start. And, depending on how you use it, it's scalable, which is handy.

Blog Entries

This is great.

I did a few more here if your interested. Theres a few different types. I hope they are still uploaded.

Oh and there was some more but not in seamless sheets of them here

It would be so nice if we could get the auto placement thing sorted out then we could generate the cities automatically.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-11-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    This texture is not really meant to...
    Just want to clarify that I was not knocking this in any way...it's really cool. Oh, and also, you have like the coolest friggin' avatar I've ever seen. Been meaning to say that for a while now but never found the chance.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Just want to clarify that I was not knocking this in any way...it's really cool. Oh, and also, you have like the coolest friggin' avatar I've ever seen. Been meaning to say that for a while now but never found the chance.
    M
    I didn't think you were knocking it all; the thought never crossed my mind. Sorry if I sounded defensive, I certainly wasn't meaning to.

As for the avatar... I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't. I wouldn't even be able to tell you where I found it. But thanks!

-IG

yoink... I'm playing with cities in gimp... this I'll be quite useful!
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    yoink... I'm playing with cities in gimp... this I'll be quite useful!
    Great! Be sure to show us a WIP so we can see what you did with it.

-IG