Thread: Map from Airphoto

Post Map from Airphoto

Hi there all!!
    I'm very happy I've managed to find this forum and I'm sure I'll use it and visit it from now on!

Now I'm having a magor problem since I've no idea how to transform an Airphoto of a city into map with streets, buildings and even trees!
    Does anyone have an idea?

Afraid to say it, but I'm not very good into working with Photoshop..
    I'm using softwares as Ocad and PhotoMod. But still, for using them you're uploading the already existing map and just making some corrections on it.
    While I'm facing creating a map using a picture for the first time. The pic of the village was taken in 1979. Now I have to decode the pic giving you details about each and every building, the farmyards, fruit-trees, everything, using the conventional signs...

Plus my deadline is aftertomorrow and I'm all confused..

P.S. Pleasure at my side!!!
    Last edited by Andril; 11-09-2009 at 03:32 PM.

I've just looked up Ocad and PhotoMod (never heard of them before). Those are serious mapping programmes!

I'm absolutely no expert on GIS type stuff (we have a few members here who are , like Su Liam) but what kind of look are you going for and are you looking for an exact translation of the photo in a GIS / vector style or something more artistic?

You may want to look at the CartoTalk forums and post your question there as well, they are serious geographical 'real world' mappers and a very friendly community.

Thank you very much for all your replys and help!
    Yeah, I'm a GIS student, so what I'm looking for is an exact translation of the photo.
    The PhotoMod is a russian one and Ocad is swiss.

I'm cheking on GIMP right now..
    But I'll ask in CartoTalk as you recommended me!
    Thank you very much once more!

Greetings,
    Julia

Blog Entries

My recommendation is to try to find any map at all of the same area as the photo and then stretch the photo to match the map. Then to try and make your new map from the photo.

Usually an old map has some old roads which map to a modern photo or a new maps roads can be matched to an old photo. So the photo then fills in the rest of the information.

In photoshop there is an interesting cut and paste function where you cut out a trapezium and it will square it up for you. You might be able to use that to clip a real world square from the photo as a trapezium and get photoshop to turn that back into a screen view square.

Basically you want to geo-reference the photo.