Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosencrantz - Noob Makes Town

Post Rosencrantz - Noob Makes Town

My first town. I made it in Illustrator, so I haven't made textures yet. I'm going to add trees and woods later.

Impressive first map...especially in Illustrator, which I can't get to do much of anything at all for me. Have some rep for posting a map right away (and a good one at that). Looking forward to seeing it with textures, trees, etc.
    M

[edit]Wicked. I give out two rep at time now. I guess that's what the green gems are for. Go figure[/edit]
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-31-2009 at 02:07 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The buildings appear to float because the shadows don't connect to the corners of the buildings (always happens with a drop shadow) but otherwise a nice looking village. Good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I hadn't noticed the shadow issue but I see it now. It looks like it's only with some of the buildings...looks like you extended the shadows for most on the left side already. I'm assuming you did that intentionally anyway, as they're clearly not straight dropshadows.
    M

It looks very promising. Can't wait to see it with trees and other textures.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far (other than the shadow issue).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the feedback. I worked on the shadows a bit and added the trees. Are the trees cheesy???

I'd say they look remarkably good.

The only ones that seem a little funky to me are the largest single trees, because they're so perfectly round. Maybe merge in some other slight "bumps" so they're a little less uniform?

I think your stands of trees came out very nicely. If those are mostly made by merging together the larger tree circles (looks like it) then maybe throw in a couple of smaller ones as well.

Looking good.
    M

I think it works pretty well! Have some more reputation.
    Mearrin is right that some variety in the shapes of the trees might make the map look a bit more realistic.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I manipulated a few of the trees, but got bogged down in the celtic border.

Thanks for the rep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast