Thread: Accurate 'Iso type' mapping

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's all sorts of wicked cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Just in case anyone missed the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jANDq2Ad5H4

Its just texture mapped laser scanning but they must be scanning from multiple directions and using some point cloud re-meshing to get the model back from it. Its all not that new but its very nicely done. Cambridge uni does a lot of this sort of stuff.

Now if you had this model as a starting point then that thing that Waldronate mentioned with the 3D twin digi camera thing would come into its own. You could upres the model significantly with that.

You will be seeing little sesna type planes with google written on the side soon...

"Trialling"? ... as in, if you are TRYING something, it's a TRIAL, which means you are (not trying but) TRIALLING?

God, I love language.

Yoda was right. There is no "try."

Nothing new here except the scale of the activity and the total amount of coverage over the area of interest (possibly the availability as well).

It does look like the classic problem of reflective surfaces showed up in one area of a wall of windows. The image texture shows in the right place, but with the wrong information. The lidar data tends to get really nasty on reflective things and it takes lots of samples to smooth it out.

I wonder how long it took them to acquire this and if it was ground-based or air-based. Back in 2000 I interviewed with Cyra and they gave me a demo of their lidar mapping system. Just a few thousand points per second but with a pretty good range accuracy (it was a time of flight measurement device and they were getting a few picoseconds resolution or so). It didn't work past 100m or so. To scan a whole scene took an hour or so.

Stereo cameras work fairly well in most cases but are limited in their depth resolution for a single pair. Now when you start moving the camera with good position and pose data then you can get good results.