Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Radio Tuning Dials

Mine too.....those are just too beautiful.

Is it an age thing? When I was a kid (in Malaysia) in the '70s my dad had this huge (the size of a 22 inch monitor) radio (a Zenith) with this green 'electric eye' oscilliscope thing which gave you a visual on fine tuning the signal.

I remember listening to Jack London stories, (seared in my brain) his short stories were superb (if you've never read any...I suggest 'A piece of Steak' and 'To Build a Fire'). I think I must have been the last generation to 'sit around the wireless' (Malaysia was about 20 years behind everyone else then)...we had a TV (black and white) but the radio was a special treat. I think that was from 'Radio America', we'd listen mostly to the BBC.

Great days.

Here's a link I think you'll enjoy: http://www.radiolovers.com/
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

When I was a kid, I remember listening to various radio programs. My room didn't have a TV but I certainly had a radio and turntable for my records. I still remember listening to the opening bit from the Shadow and there were a couple SF/Horror stories that scared the crap out of me at the time.

On a related note, my first exposure to JRR Tolkiens' The Hobbit was via a radio adaptation from the BBC (I think) that I listened on CBC radio. I remember thinking how cool the story was so I went out and got myself a copy of the book and read it. Ahh, those were good times.
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Yeah, I had one of those radio/tape recorders. First song I ever recorded (on a TDK) was 'Kung Fu Fighting' by Carl Douglas. I had one of those little earphone things. Unfortunately my tinny radio didn't have short wave, so I had to make do with whatever was broadcast on medium wave.

My older brother used to tell me the story of LOTR when we were washing the car on Sundays...that's what got me hooked.

Heh...listen to us old farts. Shame you're in Toronto, there's an even chance I might be in Vancouver for the games next year. We could have caught up for a drinky or three.

London - Berlin - Schenectady?

jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Heh...listen to us old farts. Shame you're in Toronto, there's an even chance I might be in Vancouver for the games next year. We could have caught up for a drinky or three.
    Alas, I won't be in Vancouver but if you're ever in the Toronto area, drop me a line.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    Alas, I won't be in Vancouver but if you're ever in the Toronto area, drop me a line.
    hmmmm. Might have to set up a GTA meet and greet someday...

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    hmmmm. Might have to set up a GTA meet and greet someday...
    I could be up for that.
    Cheers,
    Tim

I love this stuff. Boing Boing have now found a site that posts the box designs of typewriter ribbons here.

The radio dial site was down for a long time as I think it got swamped, but it's up again! (Yay!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast