Thread: Map of Some Continent

Post Map of Some Continent

So here is the map I am currently working on and I am having more than a few misgivings with the style (Ascenion's style). I'm trying to make the forests look like forests, but I do not know how. I don't really understand how to use textures and what not or even where to get them/how to make them.

A question I'd like to pose to Ascension himself (should he glance at this post) is about the cities in your Jade Coast map: how'd you manage to get them to look like overheads of cities?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent 1 1copy.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	18530  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I read everything...don't always understand some of them (game-play stuff and programs that I don't have) and I don't say anything if I don't have anything to add but I do read every post.

I think it looks excellent and very striking as well with the way you did the coastal shallows. The thumbnail looks so so, always does, but at full size I think it's great.

The cities on that map are modified brushes of the Photoshop default 1 pixel hard round. I set the scatter way up around 800 (and count around and when you make a click it puts down a bunch of dots. Couple of clicks and you have a bunch of dots then I add some layer styles (those are posted in the Jasmine Coast thread somewhere) and that's all. The forts are custom brushes that I made and those are in the Mapping Elements section.

Forests on this scale are generally left as dark green areas and not "foresty" textured. I've never experimented with doing forests, really, on this scale.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I was thinking about blending this realistic map form with some handdrawn trees. Here's what I have as an example.

It's on a special layer with soft light for the mode. May fiddle around with the layer styles even more if I deem this to work with the style.

EDIT:

Put in new pic with the trees being slightly altered so that they fade into the map a bit.

Name:	ffff.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	18534  
    Last edited by nutranurse; 11-10-2009 at 10:58 PM.

I find that it's a good idea to mix realistic style and handdrawn symbols.
    Trees are perhaps not quite visible.
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

I wanted the trees to be of a subtle element rather than an in your face one. Cities and such I'm going to try and replicate Ascension's Jade Coast style and we'll see what other map elements I'll throw in- possibly hills.

Here is what I am finishing with so far as terrain goes, I am going to go back and add in some more handdrawn symbols now and then start on the cities, provincial borders, roads, etc.

Name:	Continent 1 copy.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	18576