Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help please - colour overlay

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Exactly. I don't know what all Gimp has but a new layer with a mask and a blend does the trick.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the responses guys, but I'm very much a beginner with Gimp and most of this talk is going over my head.

I haven't even read RobA's famous tutorial yet, cos I didn't think I was ready for it. I wanted to get the hang of drawing up a planet before I focussed down to anything like realistic terrain.
    Getting basic latitude colour ranges is my first baby step into terrain creation.

I don't have a map I'm working on, I'm just playing with some of the tools to see what they do, so I created a random coast outline. Basically, I'm just trying to add one small step to this:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7700

so that all my land isn't plain green from pole to pole.

I don't know anything about Gimp scripts either, but I can snag that one and see if I can figure out what to do with it, thanks.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Are you looking for something that looks like this:

Name:  PlanetGradient.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  17.0 KB

Here's the zipped .xcf file if you want to see how that was built. I can walk through the steps too.

PlanetGradient.xcf.zip

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Shouldn't there be two bands of yellow (desert) terrain? One on the northern tropic and one on the southern tropic, with a tropical green between the two?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Indeed there should, but this was the gradient I had lying around. The method would be the same with a better gradient though.

Yes, Torstan, thanks, that's exactly what I was trying to do. I'll have a look at that xcf.

I found the gradient editor today, but I couldn't figure out how to work it. I'll try reverse engineering your xcf to start with.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    Yes, Torstan, thanks, that's exactly what I was trying to do. I'll have a look at that xcf.

I found the gradient editor today, but I couldn't figure out how to work it. I'll try reverse engineering your xcf to start with.
    Ah... the dreaded gradient editor... I've played with that monster alot. I feel a tutorial coming.
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

I find that it helps to get a gradient that has the right number of sections, duplicate it and then use the right click options on each section to edit the start and end point colours.

Remember that to edit a section on the gradient - click the section so that it is highlighted in blue across the bottom. Then right click and edit the colours of the left and right points. In the Load colour... section you'll find the option to match the colour to the nearest point. That should help you out.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7875 <-- very basic example of how to manipulate the gradient editor in gimp.
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Torstan, you've built this up in a different way than I do. I can see the layers, but I have no idea how they're composed.

After a lot of trial and error, I discovered how to place the land shape and the gradient side by side - it seems to be a gradient pattern as the main image with the land shape as a mask (first time I've used a mask).

However, I'm not sure how those embossed layers were made and why there are two of them. What's a pasted layer?

Told you I was basic.

Edit: thanks for the Gradient Editor tutorial Notsonoble. That's how I figured it should work. Not sure what I was (am) doing wrong, but when I tried to change the colours of the section endpoints it kept working on the absolute endpoints instead. I'll go back and have another look at it.
    Copying an existing gradient and then changing the colours might help. Thanks for that idea.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast