Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tropan, Version umpteen million

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Post Tropan, Version umpteen million

Hey all; I've been away for a while dealing with RL stuff and some strange photoshop bugs (which are finally resolved), so I thought I'd post a new map I just finished.

This is a completely revised and updated version of a fantasy setting I came up with years and years ago. It started life as a setting for an online RPG group, and then when that fell apart, I converted it into the world for a bunch of short stories (and maybe a novel eventually) that I've been writing off and on.

This map started out by using Ascension's awesome atlas-style tut, but diverged after about the 12th step. I went a different way with the lighting for the moutains and hills, then decided to add a pattern to the moutains to give them a more 'deserty' feel, in keeping with the fact that most of this world is barren desert or wasteland of one variety or another. I wanted the rivers to be highly visible without overwhelming everything else, so I went with a rich, vibrant blue color and just added a little bit of blur to that layer; nice and simple, but to good effect I think.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with the end product.

Edit: Seeing as I will probably eventually publish (or try to publish) written work based in this setting, please don't use this for any commercialized work. Feel free to download it for personal use, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tropan copy.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	18566  
    Last edited by Diamond; 11-11-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Very pretty.

My gut reaction is that some of your text is a little small. The mountain names could be a little bigger or more noticeable.

I love the colours your are using. I think the text sizes could be changed...

Sigurd

Thanks

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Thanks for the comments; I appreciate it.

I actually did try it first with bigger text, and to me anyway, it detracted too much from the actual landscape. It was too distracting. This seemed like the best compromise.

The coloring is great. I also love the mountains, but I would prefer more forests. However, if you're going for a desert continent it fits just fine.

Very nice style. I like it. But then your maps are always right up my alley
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This has turned out quite nicely.

My only little nit pick is that the mountains seem a bit 'flat' (but that may just be me). Maybe a bit of drop shadow on them might help to give them some more "depth" *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Very nice. I don't really have very many complaints. The mountains do look a little flat, but in the real world so do real mountains from high above, and there are certain styles of mapping where mountains appear more like a rough texture (as here) than as something with depth.

So I like it.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Here is a somewhat quick example of what the others were talking about in terms of making the mountains not quite so flat looking. Granted, I was zoomed in quite far, so these might be a bit over exaggerated at normal size.. but it gives you an idea. I just put an overlay layer of 50% grey and used the dodge and burn tools to "paint" in some shadows/highlights. Works much better with a tablet instead of a mouse, but thats all I have here at work....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	18577  
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmmm... let me do some playing around, but I kinda like things how they are on this one. That's a neat trick, jfrazier; I will try that out on my next map, which I am starting right... about... now.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Hmmm... let me do some playing around, but I kinda like things how they are on this one. That's a neat trick, jfrazier; I will try that out on my next map, which I am starting right... about... now.
    Don't get me wrong... I love the map... it's a great color scheme and you can and should be very proud of this great work you have done. I was just illustrating the technique in case you did not know the details of how easy(easy as in easy to do... time consuming though...) it was to give mountain textures a bit more depth.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast