Thread: World Generation Basics Discussion

Post World Generation Basics Discussion

Okay... after the Southern Beledira on Parchment map started to fall apart, I've considered going back to the beginning again... So I need some questions answered/discussed. So here we go.

Of the history I have... we have a world a little bigger than earth. 10240mi diameter at the equator 10206mi diameter along the poles. Orbiting a start much like sol, 1.1 times sol's mass and radius, and 1.2 sol's luminosity... except the star's part of a Binary system in which the smaller (Class K Main Sequence, at .8 times mass and radius and .5 Luminosity) never gets closer than 12 AU...

This puts it well within the "system" but far enough that it's added luminosity wouldn't be too big an issue (I hope)

I was looking at the planet starting with a .9 AU orbit (inside the habitable zone, but hotter), and after a cataclysmic event to a planet inside that orbit, it moved to 1.2 cooled a lot, to get you an earth-like oversized planet.

I'm looking at the continents terra gen gave me and I used for my krenna map... and some new-to-me world building stuff... and I'm not quite sure I can make it fly... my continents don't fit well for a early pangea-like situation... and even with the further distance out... if I'm reading things correctly... the larger mass means this planet should still be very hot...

Anybody wanna help me back up and punch holes in my system so I can make the changes to get a more workable system?
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

This might work for you - I made it up to help me get somewhat realistic numbers for worlds.

This is my latest incarnation of it - and it is an excel spreadsheet.

The yellow-highlighted variables are ones you can change. All the remaining variables are calculated from those you entered.

The variables that are linked to something so far:

Star Temperature Surface
    Star Mass (kg)
    Star Radius (km)
    Distance from Star (km)
    Planet Mass (kg)
    Planet R (km)
    Planet Albedo
    Percent Water
    Percent Land
    Average Ocean Depth (km)

Entering these produces these variables:

Planet Volume
    Planet Surface Area
    Planet Density
    Universal gravitational Constant
    Planet Gravity
    Planet Escape Velocity
    Planet Temperature
    Planet Temperature
    Surface Area Water
    Surface Area Land
    Volume Ocean

The water-related variables likely aren't accurate - I'm just making those up to see how they "feel", as I've not seen any calculations that really will help me here.

p.s., I used http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun numbers to test this out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by guyanonymous; 11-13-2009 at 09:21 PM.