Thread: Post-Apocalyptic Map

Post Post-Apocalyptic Map

I actually learned of this site a while back, but haven't looked at it much until now. I've made maps for a while, but they've been all political maps and just alternate history stuff.
    The maps here got me interested in making physical maps, and this is my first attempt - a post-apocalyptic Virginia. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAVA final.jpg 
Views:	1165 
Size:	532.6 KB 
ID:	18626  

Looks pretty nice to me. Have some rep for sharing a map on your first post.

I'm a fan of Gamma World-style P-A naming so I dig Dee See. I'm wondering, though, what's your inspiration for some of the other names on the map and the use of special accents? Some of the names looks like bastardizations of the original and some (though I'm not so very familiar with VA) seem almost like maybe the Czech Republic invaded and renamed some stuff.

Is this in your back-story? Just curious.
    M

It's really just a different way of writing. Markings over letters indicate an unstressed, almost swallowed vowel after them, so Richmond's name here could also be written as Rishlon or Rishl'n.

What do you think of the way I coloured the countries? I'm not really sure about it now - some colours seem to blend into the terrain, making it hard to tell where the terrain changes.
    Last edited by euio; 11-14-2009 at 10:36 AM.

The country colors didn't really hurt my reading of the terrain too much. They don't have tightly defined transitions between them so I took that to mean they were just sort of general areas of control...rather than firm political entities with fixed borders.
    M