Thread: Gimp issues

Post Gimp issues

Rob A did a nice tutorial in another thread on Gimp showing regional maps.

I've gone line by line on that tutorial in effort to create something similar, but each time I open a new layer it wipes the old one???

I admit I have limited tech knowledge which is why I came here...is there something I'm missing? Aren't the layers supposed to stack, and where to I go to find previous ones.

I gotta admit, I'm feeling kind of a hopeless cause on this one...a little frustrated. Because I'm technically inept I can't even really describe what I've done...

GRRR - any input - shot in the dark, I know.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Sounds like a bad install.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Is your [Layers, Channels, Brushes] window open? If not click Windows>Recently Closed>Layers Channels Brushes, etc. You can see each layer that way, and toggle it's visibility. That might be the problem you're having: when you open a new layer, it's making the previous one invisible. Let us know if that's the problem.

Simplifying Vernon's help, in case you need it:

On the right, you should have a window that lists the layers. Each layer should have an eye image next to it. If you click the eye, that layer will become invisible and you can see the layer underneath. If your layer is completely opaque it will cover the lower layers and you will need to toggle that eye symbol. If you reduce the opacity of the current layer (click on each layer in the stack to make it current) using the slider near the top of the window, you will be able to see how your upper layers match with lower ones.
    Hope that helps.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

I'm, thinking you are confusing the undo history window with the layers window (they do look similar, and I've seen the confusion happen before).

Undo:

Layers:

They both end up in the same tabbed window:

Note the tabs at the top. The one that looks like a stack of paper is the layers tab, and the one that has the arrow is the undo history tab.

-Rob A>