Thread: Tornalia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Tornalia

This is a map of the land of Tornalia, the setting of the fantasy novel I have been working on for some years. I have mapped it many times with pencil and paper, and the completion of this digital map marks a significant milestone for me. This is my first digital map, and my first project of any type in Adobe Photoshop Elements.

Tornalia is a medium-sized continent, roughly the size of Europe, somewhat larger than Australia or the United States. Its original inhabitants were the Goblins (now confined to a few small reserves east of the Elder Mountains) and the proud, powerful Thadrim (now nearly extinct--the short, hardy Dwarves, devoid of the use of aura, are their only living descendants), who destroyed their own civilization by triggering an ice age. Humans and Elves are more recent arrivals, migrating several thousand years ago from lands to the south.

Human civilizations developed both west and east of the Elder Mountains, and due to that barrier and other factors, contact between them has been minor and sporatic. Now, however, that is changing, as the expansionist Torlaki people, looking to fulfill a prophecy by uniting the various human nations, turn their eyes westward.

In the creation of this map, I am greatly indebted to the Guild members who have given me their advice and encouragement, and to those who have posted tutorials and inspirational finished projects. There were also a few non-Guild sources that I found very helpful, including Zompist, whose tutorial is excellent for beginners like me, and Jeremy Elford's tutorials, which I learned about through the Guild.

For those who are interested, I tried to describe many of the processes I used at the WIP thread. Any questions are welcome and feedback of any kind is greatly appreciated.

Per the site's policy, this map is my property and may not be used for any purpose (except cross-site promotions) without permission. If you would like to use it, please ask first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tornalia_Scott_Livingston.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	18631