Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: November Entry - Real Science

Blog Entries

One of the hazards of mucking about with someone else's specialty is that you're going to screw up the lingo. One of the hazards of being me is that you're going to screw up the spelling

I should not have screwed up the detector vs. collider though. I should have thought that through. Ever watch that time-lapse movie of them putting Atlas together? Very cool. That sucker is enormous. If you had a vehicle that big, monster trucks would scream like little girls and wet themselves.

Thanks wormspeaker for the encouragement!

SG: that's because you are among the dozen people left that are old enough to remember LP's. Apparently so is wormspeaker. My kids think they are musical instruments used at dance clubs.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Couldn't resist it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2080001.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	832.1 KB 
ID:	18691

Look at the size of the ladder in the middle to get an idea of scale. This was from a couple of years ago when I was lucky enough to get in.

And I thought this might amuse you. CERN was given a statue of Shiva by the Indian government and the shadow is projected on the side of the ATLAS building. Now in your scenario, that would be truly horrifying foreshadowing....

Name:	P1010017.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	422.6 KB 
ID:	18692

Blog Entries

Inspiration thought the budding cartographer!

Blog Entries

Thank you Torstan for showing me the obvious (although somewhat jarring) centerpiece to any CERN disaster... the gift from India!!! You can't undertake a study of CERN, no matter how brief, without encountering this oddity. In a world of 1950's architecture and cold war era technology (on the surface that is), to encounter an exotic, delicate and thoroughly evil piece of far eastern art is just a bit disconcerting, but the brainiacs seem to love it as they always proudly feature it in any overview of CERN. I think it gets more press than the dome and certainly more than the piece of the old collider on display before the dome.

When Torstan threw her up, I immediately knew what I was missing and where she belonged. Seeing the evil radiate from her sinuous form is enough to convince the most hardened Hawking detractor of the error of their ways.

Again Torstan, thank you!

### Latest Wip ###

Name:	Real Science.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	18696

Happy to help. I think they were going for the whole change and renewal from chaos aspect rather than the more conventional destroyer, but yes it is a little disconcerting.

Looking really excellent.

Blog Entries

A minor update. Built a sizable road around the danger zone to service massive dome building operations and other industrial purposes such as dumping toxic and nuclear waste into the black hole.

The way I see it is that at a certain point, the gravitational pull of the black hole is greater than that of the earth. At that point, anyone or anything is in danger of sliding off and being crunchified (that's a technical term). That point is indicated by the inside of the circular band surrounding the singularity. The point where all of the earth has been eaten up is a bit further in, and not perfectly even. Some rock and earth is better anchored to the surrounding area and resists being drawn in.

### Latest Wip ###

Views:	64 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	18717

Blog Entries

For those of you who were not impressed that my disaster was disasterously disasterous enough, never fear. These last techniques took some study, plus a bit of trial and error to get them right. This isn't "done" of course until the 25th or whenever the moderators decide the challenge is done, but it is functionally complete.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	83 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	18843

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Dammit! Someone scratched up and melted a whole in my favorite record!

Seriously though, this is looking pretty cool.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I preferred the non-scratched up version. It's nearly impossible to read the text on this one.

All looking good though. And we now have had beams going in opposite directions around the LHC. First low energy collisions expected within 2 weeks.

Blog Entries

I'm up at my mom's house in southeast Alabama. There is a large German population here because so many German wives of career Army personnel convinced their husbands to retire here. We're a stone's throw from Fort Rucker, the Army's helicopter training facility. My mom is, of course, German. She was born near Mannheim in 1942. Her father, my grandfather (opa), fought against the Russian's in WWII and was taken prisoner during the war.

My father was stationed in Lampertheim in Germany between his combat tours in Korea and Vietnam, where he met my mother. It is common for German women to marry American soldiers, or at least it was still common when I was stationed in Frankfurt in 81-83.

I came up for Thanksgiving and for my Aunt and Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary. My uncle is also career Army as is my other Aunt's husband, although they live out in Texas. I haven't had a lot of time to work on the maps between luncheons and helping my mom rearrange her computer room and fix her fireplace.

I finally slowed down enough to make some changes to the map. I hear you Torstan, and decided to use a less-busy broken glass pattern and more translucent blood splatter. I also emphasized the text with some inner shadow to keep it from being too obscure.

### Latest Wip ###
    Attachment 18921

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast