Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re'Skaal - WIP

Wip Re'Skaal - WIP

In loose sequence I will post the progress of my campaign world "Re'Skaal" here. I have just finished the outlines of the continent, but not decided yet which style to follow.

I started with Ascension's Atlas Style with regard to regional maps in the same style. To see if the result is what I have in mind, I cut out a piece of the map, expanded the rivers and added a few symbols made with Illustrator.
    The creatures are dingbats from "lpmyth" and "Imaginary Forces", the font is called "Aniron".

Even if the result is not what I wanted, I finished it because the work on the map simply became independent. Next I will give Pasis' style a try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Re'Skaal Base TA.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	18653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Re'Skaal Atlas Style TA Regional Standalone.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	467.3 KB 
ID:	18654  

Ok I have a question for you how did you do the cloudy wispy look on the ocean

Is some kind of CC3 contour effect?

Looks Like you have a great start on a solid map!

Guild Journeyer

I like it. Simple and effective.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Sorry Anaxetogrind, I forgot to mention that the map is made with Photoshop. CC3 was used for the contours. Clouds, clouds, clouds. Of so many layers does the ocean consist and at the top an ocean ripple filter. No chance to redo it with CC3 as I think.

Thanks Wormspeaker, simple is just the right word. The regional map was quickly done and I see that I must spend much more time in drawing new symbols.

I worked on the mountains of my continent and tried different things so far. Here is the result: 4 different layers from foothills to the top of the mountains. It's completely non-destructive by the time, just difference clouds and lightning effects covered with Pasis textures. These are a placeholders so far.
    Do you think it is a path to follow? C&C are welcome...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Re'Skaal TA.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	19046  

I want to know how to make the shields! I have seen a few people use them, and I would love to do the same! I'm jealous (oh, and the map looks great)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If the dark brown bits are meant to be the foothills then maybe you should feather or blur them out a ways...or just put forests over the edges like I do.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Mountains look pretty good so far, very similar to the methods I generally use.

I would suggest trying a slight bevel on each of the mountain layers, increasing the size with each 'higher' layer, it might help give them a bit more depth. If it doesn't look right, you can always just turn the bevels off again
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the comments. I will try and see how it will look.

@landorl: Dont't be jealous, it's very easy. Spend one evening on heraldry to learn the do's and don'ts in coloring and the basic shapes. I made a template in Illustrator and Photoshop to create the shields very fast. And don't forget: Dingbats are your friend in finding animals and fantasy creatures.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I found an Illustrator brush pack of shields once while Googling up the same thing. Since I totally suck at Illustrator I can't use them. The author was Nick Staroba so that should be pretty easy to find.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast