Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saderan

Guild Apprentice

Absolutely gorgeous! Just when I think I'm starting to learn a bit of this thing I find such a piece of work that makes me feel like I'm never going to make anything visually pleasant!

I disagree on the location of a few geographical artifacts there, though, and I'm not sure if I should discuss them here or on your W.I.P. thread. What would be the best place for such a discussion? That is, if you're at all interested in chatting about it.

But, seriously, amazing work! I wish I could design maps like that.

Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandream View Post
    I disagree on the location of a few geographical artifacts there, though, and I'm not sure if I should discuss them here or on your W.I.P. thread. What would be the best place for such a discussion? That is, if you're at all interested in chatting about it.
    I am aware that there are geographical inconsistencies.
    During the creation of the map, randomizers were used to generate several geographical features. Those do, by definition, not follow any geographical rules.
    But feel free to point them out anyway if you like. Either here or in the WIP thread.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Beautiful map. I really does look like an image from a real atlas!

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    I am aware that there are geographical inconsistencies.
    During the creation of the map, randomizers were used to generate several geographical features. Those do, by definition, not follow any geographical rules.
    But feel free to point them out anyway if you like. Either here or in the WIP thread.
    Ah, I see! I didn't think you used random stuff here, that's why I felt like pointing out. Anyways, the only thing I found really odd was the placement of the central desert. Some people have a pet peeve with placement of rivers, I am obsessed by them deserts, and am always trying to figure out reasons as to how they form in a specific map, in a given place.

I couldn't find a reasonable explanation (at least if I considering a round world with the Sun rising on the East) for that desert to form where it did, right in the middle of the map.

To be honest, that is pretty much the single thing I didn't agree with the map. Other than that it is most likely one of the best works I've seen so far while lurking in this forum.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Wow, simply stunning. It's like a barrage of color and crispness.
    I'm wondering, is this a scaled-down version of a raw map, and if so, what is the original resolution you're working in?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    I'm wondering, is this a scaled-down version of a raw map, and if so, what is the original resolution you're working in?
    The original file is a tad larger. Around 21"x10" at 200 dpi.

Guild Novice

I love this style. Also funny story... You use Varna as a region on the map and I use it as a city name.

Love this map. I Love the tutorial for it as well. I am going to have to take another pass at it. I think the problem with my first go was the resolution. The tutorial for for a map size of about 500 pixels square and I want to do something about 3k by 4k pixels so I have to do some translations to the tutorial brush sizes and effect sizes.

I want to create a world map for the fantasy novel I have begun writing but I am not sure if I want to use this style or a more traditional drawn map look that I see in most fantasy books with a map.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Guild Novice

This map is totally amazing. Seems like I'll be pulling out the photoshop when I get home and trying out your tutorial!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast