Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cityscapes

You should enter. I bet a lot of the guys making beautifully rendered maps are just as mystified about your techniques - I know I am (though I don't make beautifully rendered maps! )
    M

I do have one question: These look as though you draw them from scratch in ink, no pencil sketch to lay them out am I correct?
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

Guild Apprentice

Yep, the only "construction" I did was to lay down a couple of perspective lines in pencil then everything else was by eye.
    Last edited by PlumCrazy; 11-19-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumCrazy View Post
    Yep, the only "construction" I did was to lay down a couple of perspective lines in pencil then everything else was by eye.
    As an artist I envy people with that talent! I've been drawing since childhood, and seriously as a draftsman and cartographer for over 25 years and that's a skill I never acquired; I always need to rough out a drawing before finalizing it. I once knew a guy that could draw out entire pages of comic-book style action scenes with just a ball-point pen, boy was I was green with envy lol.
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, that always gets me too. I'm more Beethoven than Mozart...start with a framework then make edits and refinements rather than plop out perfection on a first go. I really appreciate that sort of genius/gift.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Post Some more

Here's two I did today at lunch...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cityscape3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	18819  

Amazing talent! Keep at it. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Yeah, that always gets me too. I'm more Beethoven than Mozart...start with a framework then make edits and refinements rather than plop out perfection on a first go. I really appreciate that sort of genius/gift.
    Heh, at least you are Beethoven. I'm closer to Brittney Spears . . . do the same no talent things over and over, give them to pros to remix and hope no one notices.

Oh, and PlumCrazy, these are totally wicked. You should definetely enter some stuff in contests. If you can merge the contest requirements with your unique style you will destroy your competition.

These are REALLY good. I have a hard time with modern/sci-fi settings, which is one of the reasons I've taken on such a setting for my current world project. These maps are almost exactly like what I'd like to do someday. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and I just realized that I bumped a really old thread. Sorry about that, but I had to say something. Thanks again. Bump!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Bump away, we don't mind. It's good to bring stuff back into the light for those who haven't seen them.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast