Thread: Nov/Dec Lite Entry - Temple of the Healing Waters

Guild Journeyer

Post Nov/Dec Lite Entry - Temple of the Healing Waters

This map still needs a lot of work but here is the basic layout. Yes I know some of my textures are repetative and their are gaps. That being said what about the general layout and tiling. also what about the water any comments?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp2.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	18712

Guild Novice

Post Nice Start!

Very nice start here! I like the mountain/wall texture.

Question: Is the grid meant to represent a tiled floor or a battlegrid for a D&D-like game? I wasn't sure -- either way, it looks nice.

The water looks quite good. I particularly like the water in the rectangular region -- the textures there look a little bit like clouds, but do a nice job of conveying a sense of ripply water.

I assume the bright orb is some objectof worship?

Awesome job! Keep it up!

Looks like a good start to me. I particularly like the floor tiles, though I'd be tempted to grunge them up a bit.

I like the wall texture as well. You might try adding another layer or two with different opacity and bevel settings.

All in all, great start!

-IG

Guild Journeyer

Thanks for the advice and compliments. Here is a new WIP with added symbols doors cracked tiles etc. Still plugging away but tell me what you think. I added a grid that is to be a 5' square at 50 px/in.

The glow in the in grotto pool is the source of the healing waters.
    The grotto was found by explorers and the temple was built around it.

I added a bevel to the outer wall and I grunged up the floor a bit but I am not sure if it needs some more.

Name:	temp3.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	18736

I was thinking of suggesting to you to add a grid, but seeing it on top of that tile now, I'm glad I didn't. Looks fine on the rest of the map, but I don't think it's meshing too well with that tile.

I do like the other adornments you've added.

-IG

Guild Journeyer

Maybe changing the color of the grid would help? Perhaps a faded red or blue?
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Guild Journeyer

Latest WIP still plugging away at it kinda stuck.

Name:	temp5.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	19280

Blog Entries

Pretty neat stuff !

I know religious types sometimes live simply, but they might want more than a bed. A chest, a wardrobe, something to keep clothes and perhaps a few personal items. A small table to set one's candle on when retiring for the night or a cup of water in case one gets thirsty in the night. Something along those lines. Also chamber pots, since there don't seem to be more advanced facilities (and surely one does not use the sacred waters for the purpose).

Guild Journeyer

Bathrooms? Tables ? Closets? what kind of secular life are you living They don't have those things in a fantasy world

Thanks for the advice I know I need to add those little things to make the map more real. Sometimes i just lose track of the important things. Like lighting and other items.

Will get back to work