Thread: always a new idea

Map always a new idea

okay, so i've been reading a lot of tutorials, playing with things here and there, and generally mucking aobut trying to find a good style that works for me. so, here's a new style for a dungeon i'm working out. take a look a the following room, tell me what works, and what doesn't. also, making use of lots and lots of layers, drop shadows, textures, etc.

i don't know if the grid works for me or not, and the color could be a little less black and white.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	room idea.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	351.3 KB 
ID:	699  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like the style. Is that the mosaic filter you've used for the cracks?

I'm really not sure about the grid. It makes it look a bit like square flag stones, but that really jars with the cracks, that look like irregularly laid stones. You can't really have both The other thing that jars there is that the grid has a universal light glow, so the squares all have light edges, which just looks unnatural, especially with all the shadowing everywhere else.

Try putting in a more simple grid of just black lines on white and setting it to multiply, you can lay as much of a grid as you like by adjusting the transparency of the layer. Otherwise, very nice.

I agree with torstan, I have grown very opposed to grids in maps as most VTTs now can overlay any map with whatever grid you want to use. The grid in this place really detracts from the map rather than adds to it.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.