Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ISO dwarven temple map

Post ISO dwarven temple map

I was looking through Torstans map gallery on his site and really liked his ISO cave map. I decided to take my upcoming project and try to do some of the more complex areas using an ISO look.

I wish there was a better way to game (virtually) using ISO or 3D mapping. Sometimes 2d seems so limited in how you can actually convey complex overlapping structures. This past summer I played through all the Tomb Raider games with my daughter, and I was really amazed at how cool some of the settings are.

So anyway, here is a rough sketch of what I will be attempting. I have never really made a good ISO map, but if I don't post this I will probably never feel forced to try and pull it off.

Comments, ideas, tips, pointers are always appreciated.
    -D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwarfcavern1.jpg 
Views:	768 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	18738  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me...I don't see anything missing or confusing so it's all in the pretty-fying now. I'm sure you can do it and do it well, always do.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

If you do it properly iso - with a consistent 30 degree line grid, then you can make that line up with a hex grid. Now that won't get your measurements quite right when moving, but it will snap to grid properly. With some careful token construction it can look very very cool in maptool.

Looking great so far. The iso map was fun to do - but I'd recommend putting in the horizontal level markers to keep the viewer informed about the different levels.

looking great so far! I was thinking about drawing ISO-type dungeons but got all confused on how to do 'opposite' walls and overlapping stuff while keeping things clear... really interested in seeing this progress...

Alright, I haven't managed to get much free time however I have made some progress. I had thought of going 3D, and I haven't ruled out using it in places. S i have a very quick 3D test. Then I made a tabloid sized iso grid. I redrew everything on it, making modifications as needed.

I'm now back in illustrator creating all the hard edged parts of the map. The cavern walls I might do in PS or start in Illustrator as well.

I have one quick test using a repeating pattern in PS then erasing parts of layers to let other slanting patterns through.

I'll scan in my new sketch sometime soon and if anyone wants my grids, they aren't perfect but they are a good start, I can post those as well.

Name:	3dbase.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	18856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISOtest.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	18857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linework.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	18858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isolines2linework.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	18859  

Tonights' progress.

Name:	isolines2working.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	18865  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it so far, especially the stone things (I always get them backwards..stalagmites and stalactites). Can't wait for the color goodness
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Some cool stuff going on here.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Greet job so far in making a '3d maze' with multiple levels still look so clear! cant wait to see it painted indeed...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast