Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kobold Hall

Guild Apprentice

Wip Kobold Hall

Hi, after playing our first 4e adventure last week, it was clear to me that both me (DM) and the players need some practice. None of us have played DnD since school - a long time ago, we think the edition was Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

Therefore I decided to run the short adventure in the back of the Dungeon Masters Guide - Kobold Hall, and integrate it into the overall campaign. I have been mucking about in GIMP trying to throw together the four main rooms so that we can use them this weekend (we use Gametable). This is the first room. It's not meant to be pretty (I just noticed when uploading it that the bevel in the floor tiles is the wrong way round) but functional.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...artamn/kr1.jpg

Stuamn

p.s. I know i've added a little bit of corridor but i want the players just to concentrate on the room they are in and by adding the extra corridor means i can "join up" the rooms in gametable as the players get to them

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a good start. Note that you can attach an image directly to a post rather than having to host the image on a 3rd party site. To do this make sure you are using the advanced editing window for posting (by clicking the reply button, or hitting the Go Advanced button from the quick reply window). Then click the paper-clip icon in the tools above the reply box. This opens up the attachment manager. There you can upload an image from your computer.

When you are back in the message editor, get the cursor to the place where you want to insert the image. Click the paper clip again and you will see the name of your image in a drop down. Click the name of the image you want to insert there and a thumbnail of the image will get included in the text. Any attachments you don't add in this way will be included at the bottom in a separate box.

As for the map, looks good so far. you are right about the bevel on the floor. How are you using the map in a game? Is it for use with a virtual tabletop program?

Quote Originally Posted by stuamn View Post
    Hi, after playing our first 4e adventure last week, it was clear to me that both me (DM) and the players need some practice. None of us have played DnD since school - a long time ago, we think the edition was Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

Therefore I decided to run the short adventure in the back of the Dungeon Masters Guide - Kobold Hall, and integrate it into the overall campaign. I have been mucking about in GIMP trying to throw together the four main rooms so that we can use them this weekend (we use Gametable). This is the first room. It's not meant to be pretty (I just noticed when uploading it that the bevel in the floor tiles is the wrong way round) but functional.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...artamn/kr1.jpg

Stuamn

p.s. I know i've added a little bit of corridor but i want the players just to concentrate on the room they are in and by adding the extra corridor means i can "join up" the rooms in gametable as the players get to them
    That's rather pretty stuamn. You may want to consider over top of the floor adding a noise layer set to overlay to vary the floor up a bit, but that's not 100% necessary.

My only "complaint" is that I think the pit looks a bit odd. To me, it looks like a huge emerald set into the floor instead of a pit full of slime. Not sure if it is the color or texture or what. Other than that, I think it's rather nice and I was going to do this myself. If you don't mind, I will grab this (and any other one you do up) and use for my own game.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

@torstan , thanks - i was wondering how to attach an image. The map is to be used in a program called Gametable http://gametable.galactanet.com/. The program is similar to OpenRPG in that it allows the players to connect remotely, see the map, roll dice and move their characters.

@jfrasierjr - thanks, I don't like the slime either but it was the only texture ii had at the time. I need to find an ice texture for the last encounter so I'll probably look for a slime one at the same time (and re-bevel the floor).

Quote Originally Posted by stuamn View Post
    @torstan , thanks - i was wondering how to attach an image. The map is to be used in a program called Gametable http://gametable.galactanet.com/. The program is similar to OpenRPG in that it allows the players to connect remotely, see the map, roll dice and move their characters.

@jfrasierjr - thanks, I don't like the slime either but it was the only texture ii had at the time. I need to find an ice texture for the last encounter so I'll probably look for a slime one at the same time (and re-bevel the floor).
    Cool.

If your not 100% sold on Gametable, you might want to check out Maptool (RPTools.net), which is what Torstan and I (along with goobs of others here) both use. It has a few features that are fairly unseen in most VTT software and it's free. One big benefit is that Maptool is under active development, with a dev release with bug fixes and new features every 2-3 weeks (sometimes less) and the developers are very active on the forums.
    Heh... I would "guess" that RPMiller (who is a mod here and also active on the RPTools forums) has probably gotten 200 or more people to sign up at the CG from over there. If you decide to give it a look over, we will be glad to answer any questions you have. One big thing to note is that the 1.3 version is under development and close to switching over to 1.4, but the documentation is still most likely on the old 1.2 version. This is important as there have been TONS of new features put into the Maptool since the documentation was last updated.

Also, just to show impartiality, Redrobes develops and sells a very nice VTT named Viewingdale which has some extremely cool features also. He has a link to his site in his signature.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Edit: no surpises that Joe said exactly the same thing but faster

You might like to have a look over at maptool - it's also a java app that works as a shared map for people with dice and chat built in.... and macros, and dynamic light and vision and quite a lot more. You can find it over here:

www.rptools.net

The forums are the best documentation. There's a new build out every week or so at the moment and the dev version is now very stable as they are approaching the end of the 1.3 cycle. There's a fair amount of cross-over between these forums and the maptool ones so you'll see some familiar names over there.

Post Cause everyone has their favourite poison :)

If you're not too attached to Game Table, and you've already looked at maptool (Its free after all) try looking at Fantasy Grounds....

http://forums.fantasygrounds.com/home/

It's not free but I like it a lot. After a little playing the one time $35 ish price tag is well deserved.

Sigurd

Guild Apprentice

@ torstan, jfrazierjr and sigurd - I'm downloading maptool to have a look. I just used gametable as a test. I don't think the party would mind swapping from gametable as during the last adventure I published a very large tile and everyone else's computers rebooted. They didn't see the funny side.

@ sigurd I agree, fantasy grounds looks fantastic, however - I'm assuming that everyone else would have to buy at least a lite licence to connect. Believe me the party I'm DMing for are cheap

BTW new slime in kobold hall 1, and I posted a WIP of kobold hall 2, I don't particularly like the coffins, the statues or the altar but time is short.

EDIT: I also added a noise layer (render>clouds>plasma>desaturate) as suggested, and once again the maps are not 100% the same as the DMC, this is due to me moving/adding link up corridors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kr1.jpg 
Views:	979 
Size:	317.0 KB 
ID:	5404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kr2.jpg 
Views:	1088 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	5405  
    Last edited by stuamn; 07-22-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: additional info

Now that's a serious improvement. Good work. I like the heavier shadows.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool, I like it. You may want to consider one of the textures on this page for your current (or any upcoming) slime pools.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast