Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More iso mapping

Post More iso mapping

temples seen to be inspiring these days tonight i was practising my ISO skills (I always have a hard time creating them so thought lets get some more experience in it) and drew a temple complex. I drew it sort of out my head and guess I should have used a grid to make it more 3d-consitent (now why doesnt PS have 3d grid aids, or maybe someone knows about some 'hidden' feature? Though maybe when i start painting it over, I can correct the (many) 3d-flaws...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	464.0 KB 
ID:	18740  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you want it true 3d then you'd have to do it in a 3d program. Personally, I like your version better...has more character. Sure, the obelisks lean in odd ways but not that bad. I think it's cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That's really cool. My only wish would be that the view had been pulled back a little so the temple didn't get cut off at the bottom.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it so far, but do agree with rdanhenry about it getting 'clipped' at the bottom.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the C&C guys. I guess indeed if one wants it truly 3d then one should use a 3d program I made a draft-version in sketch-up but wasn't really pleased with the result (too clean indeed, Ascension).

I completely redid it to make it a little less flawed by using a grid. The map is for practising my iso skills so I guess am getting practise now Also pulled it back a lilttle ( think am gonne end the bottom-left with a wall/gatehouse and path down the mountain...)

I first wanted to use 2-point-vanishing-point perspective but it got really messed up so I went back to a version with 2 infinite vanishing points. Because of the scale of the thing it should work I think... anyway, the result so far. I attached the draft Sketch-up and the latest hand-drawn version. cheers

Name:	temple_su.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	918.9 KB 
ID:	18785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temple2.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	18786  
    Last edited by Djekspek; 11-19-2009 at 07:36 PM.

I'm wondering if anyone has a pattern for a 3d grid? If you could overlay that on top then you'd be able to keep things lined up pretty well...not to mention that I'd snag a copy for myself to use
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I attached the one I created for my 2-point vanishing point experiment. You can copy, scale and rotate it to create as many vanishing points as needed. For me it didn't work out as it's still hard to align to non-parallel lines using the 'shift' option in PS to create lines (ctrl-alt-z was my best friend during the experiment....) I tried paths but thats in my opinion not really a user-friendly option in PS. I didn't find a way to align a pencil stroke directly to a path (only drawing paths by using the 'stroke' option), but maybe i missed a very usefull function in PS (I know one can align text to directly to a path...). Also for real 'deep' 3d one would need a vanishing point way outside the picture requiring a much larger grid (with much mor lines in it) then the one I attached.

For the inifinite vanishing points in my iso I just created a 'trashy' version in 2 mins. Draw three lines in a pleasable angle and copy them many times in different places (that's what i did but i didnt do it very clean so it looks kinda messy in the iso picture). Next time I draw an ISO I'll get it clean and post it

Name:	perspective.png 
Views:	2458 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	18791  

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has a pattern for a 3d grid? If you could overlay that on top then you'd be able to keep things lined up pretty well...not to mention that I'd snag a copy for myself to use
    Here be the best place for graph/grid paper: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

-Rob A>

Thanks, Rob. Didn't see what I wanted there but the diamonds is pretty close so I can play around with that one and make it work.

Thanks Rob, it is a very useful site. However I couldn't find any grids on different Axonometric projection (maybe I didn't look right). Well, I had nothing better to do and Iwanted them anyway so I created some grids, 1 for iso-metric, 1 for dimetric projection (I like that bette then pure ISO) and one with 3 VP perspective (usefull for creating overland-icons). Oh btw there many sites but www.khulsey.com/perspective_basics.html is good site for some basics on projections. cheers

Name:	ISO-metric.png 
Views:	1925 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	18816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DI-metric.png 
Views:	2835 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	18817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3VP-persp.png 
Views:	636 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	18818  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast