Thread: Corel-Aeven and more...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Post Corel-Aeven and more...

Okay, so a while ago I made an offhand comment wondering if I could make something similar to one of Ascension's map styles in Corel. Well, I wouldn't say its a whole lot similar, but I think I've made a pretty good start.

The map itself was done in Corel PHOTO-PAINT X3, while the labeling was completed in CorelDRAW X3.

I won't put this in the finished map section yet as when I uploaded it I realized some of the labeling is hard to see, and I think I'll use this thread to dump all my progress with this style.

Any and all suggestions/nitpicks/criticisms welcome!

AEVEN:

more to come hopefully....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEVENLAND2final.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	615.4 KB 
ID:	17623  
    Last edited by Steel General; 10-12-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Re-uploaded image as attachment

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it looks pretty good. I might make the ocean a little more of a grayish teal but that's me. The black labels might be easier to read in gray or white. I downloaded a free trail of CorelPaint but have yet to try it out so maybe this will get me going.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm with Ascension, it looks good so far.

I took the liberty of re-adding your image as an attachment. So that it will use the board's viewer.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I like it. The colors are a little vivid for my taste, but it all matches together nicely.

I like this a lot! I agree that the water might look a little better lightened up, but it is a great map!

thx all!

Ya, i'm still a bit unpleased with the water, and ive already fixed the labels, once i finish the water, I'll upload it

okay, so here I've changed the ocean, added a glow to the city names, and fooled around with the title.

not sure whats up with the white strip on the side, but since these are just for my own pleasure I don't really care, probably just a problem with how I exported it to a jpeg

Name:	AEVEN LAND 3..jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	969.6 KB 
ID:	17846  

Post Revamping

okay, so I know I put the map up in the finished work forum, but after spending some time looking at Ninetongues work, I had a sudden light bulb over the head about how I could hugely improve the oceans. so after 3 hours of fiddling with merges in photo-paint, I have something I am proud of. Once I had that done though, I decided I would redo everything from the outline up without the tedious pixel drawing.

Now all I have to do is spend the next week or so trying to translate all the amazing Adobe tutorials on this site into what will do the same thing in Corel.

Anyways, heres what I have so far on my revamping project. My next step is going to be to figure out how to make the mountains.

Name:	Aeven New Style.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	18788