Thread: World of Eimarith

Wip World of Eimarith

Ok. Here's the plan. I want to map out a world that is 10,000 square miles. To sort of keep things organized, I have divided the world up into 1000 square mile regions, and each region is chopped up into areas that are 100 square miles. That means that each map I make will cover 100 square miles.

I am using Gimp for this. I am not trying for a high level of realism in the look of the terrain. High realism takes too much time ( I have tried Rob A.'s regional map tut, and it is very good, but it takes me a very long time to make a map with it and I have trouble with the forests).

I plan on making the terrain as random as possible. What is land and what is sea is random. The shape of the land is random. The shape and placement of the forests is random. The same is true for the lakes and mountains.

Here is the first map. Not a lot of land in this first one. The grass is just green with a little HSV noise added. The forests are a darker green with a lot of HSV noise. The mountains are brown overlayed with some cloud noise and then bump mapped. I don't like how the mountains look so I've tried something different on the second map (it's not done, otherwise I would post it). It's a shortened version of something I saw in one of Rob A.'s mini-tuts involving an angular shaped gradient and I like the results better than what I did here.

--Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World of Eimarith - Region 2-1 - Area 8-1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	18747  

My math is bad. The world is 10,000x10,000 miles, which is NOT 10,000 square miles but 100,000,000 square miles. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

I may upload map 2 tonight.

--Ken

I'm not really sure if I read anything wrong, but... do you intend to post thousands of maps?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you at all. I'm just making sure I got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    I'm not really sure if I read anything wrong, but... do you intend to post thousands of maps?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you at all. I'm just making sure I got that right.

Yea. I was bored and wanted something to do. This can keep me busy for a very long time, and will help me get better with Gimp too.

Here is the second map. It's of the area to the right of the first map. I did the mountains different in this one. To me, they look better this way.

--Ken

Name:	World of Eimarith - Region 2-1 - Area 9-1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	453.8 KB 
ID:	18798  
    Last edited by kenbanistu; 11-21-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: updated the image

Map

Here's the third map. It's of the area to the right of the second map.
    I changed the color of the mountains but I'm not sure I like them that way and may go back to the old color on the next map.

--Ken

Name:	World of Eimarith - Region 2-1 - Area 10-1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	434.0 KB 
ID:	18844  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think you should go back to the darker colored mountains
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'll go back to the old color. These are a little too golden looking.

Map

Next one.

This is all a grand experiment in random map making.

Name:	World of Eimarith - Region 2-1 - Area 8-2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	435.2 KB 
ID:	18967