Thread: FInally, I have the beginings of a map

Map FInally, I have the beginings of a map

Almost a month ago i joined the Guild and was asked to post a map.

Almost two years ago i started banging my head against the wall looking for a way to make a densely populated city map for a work of fiction without drawing it by hand.

I have succeeded in realizing my goal.

I used Roleplaying City Map Generator 5.40 and Fractal Mapper 8. This was made possible by a User Plug in that converts files from RCMG into FMP files.

This is a modern city in a Post Post Apocalyptic world. (After the return of "Civilization.")

I can only show a segment, but what is important to understand about the beauty of this software combination is that every building in this city is an object that can be easily moved and reshaped simply by clicking on it and dragging it. Notes and links can be added to each and every building. If i can get the file down to a postable size i will show the whole town later on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ework.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	18783  

Why is the land so radically underused? That does not look like a "densely populated" area. Is most of the habitation underground?

The square buildings you see here are skyscrapers. There will be very familiar slanted roofed buildings added soon to represent low rise buildings as well as parks. This is a work in progress, but i was asked when i arrived almost a month ago to post a map so when i finally got to the point that i knew what i was going to do and how to do it i posted this right before heading off to work.

There will also be many more streets. Just the largest and busiest are present at the moment.

I will post my progress fairly soon.
    Last edited by Nordling; 11-20-2009 at 12:17 AM.

it looks to me like you should fill in the empty space more by enlarging the buildings so they are side by side instead of having the space in between which will not be found in a densely populated area. I also think that to get the effect you want you might want to make the streets more grid like to simulate a city (one the people re-inhabited), or make an obvious focal point where the city started and expanded from there(if they established a new city it would attract survivors and eventually expand from a smaller foundation). Depending on the apocalypse you could also add some "Dead Zones" that are walled in or something. Just some suggestions to give you the desired affect I assume you're looking for.
    "I want to have a party, I want to have a party, I want to have a party, you cannot kill the party, you cannot kill the party, you cannot kill the party, long live the party!" -- Andrew WK (Long Live the Party)