Thread: First try, map of Herreland

Map First try, map of Herreland

I've been writing a story for about 2 years now, it's called Zandrion, and during these years I got into map-making for the sake of giving people a map of the world where the story will take place.

This is just the map of the kingdom of Herreland, the rest peaks upwards, but I haven't gotten around on creating it just yet. I have it on paper, but to find the time to get it onto PS is hard to find.

It's a basic map with a Tolkien feel. I used brushed I found on Deviantart and used many tutorials, mostly from ZombieNirvana's tutorial. I played around mostly with my own "skills" in creating the inland water. The numbers are towns and cities.

It's my first real try, the "true" first try was on Paint, and it sucked.

Any helpful advice on how to make it better? Critique welcomed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	herreland1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	18805  

Looks pretty cool to me! Nice shape and symbols for mountains and forests. In my opinion it's a bit dark so maybe some lighter blue on the water? I'd also change the color of the compass rose to something brighter. Maybe the 'river-police' may also have some comments on the river flows. anyway, very nice first PS map

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Not bad. However, the whole picture looks flat. Give it some texture - old paper or something. Or the cloud render in PS. This would give the map more atmosphere.
    The coast lines seem a little bit strait for me, give them more irregularities (if this was intended, forget my comment).

Guild Journeyer

Agreed, the map is a bit dark. I can barely make out the compass rose on my monitor. Otherwise, looking good.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Here is a short list with excellent advice on natural river flow that you can check if you want.

Of course, in a fantasy world our laws of physics may not apply. It's fantasy after all. But it never hurts to know the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Djekspek View Post
    Looks pretty cool to me! Nice shape and symbols for mountains and forests. In my opinion it's a bit dark so maybe some lighter blue on the water? I'd also change the color of the compass rose to something brighter. Maybe the 'river-police' may also have some comments on the river flows. anyway, very nice first PS map
    Yeah I was thinking of brightening the water.

Haha, "river police", I figure you're pointing at my rivers being not up to standards

Not bad. However, the whole picture looks flat. Give it some texture - old paper or something. Or the cloud render in PS. This would give the map more atmosphere.
    The coast lines seem a little bit strait for me, give them more irregularities (if this was intended, forget my comment).
    I found a great tutorial for creating realistic coastlines with lots of irregularities after I made this one. If I am to improve this map, I'll ceartainly add more irregularities.

I agree aout the texture, it's a bit dull. I've got some old paper textures that I'll add to make it better.

Here is a short list with excellent advice on natural river flow that you can check if you want.

Of course, in a fantasy world our laws of physics may not apply. It's fantasy after all. But it never hurts to know the basics.
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm one of those people who wants to create fantasy, but keep it within a realistic and truthworthy world.

Thanks alot guys, your comments are greatly appreciated.

The rivers aren't too terribly bad. The very long river in the center appears to have two different rivers that flow into the ocean in the south. Also, there is a large amount of inland seas. There are some real world examples of lakes not connecting to the sea, but I don't know if two of them, that close together would work.

I like the shape of the continent, and I like the symbols a lot. It is a good start, and I think it has a lot of potential.