Thread: First World Map - Critique Request & Greetings

Post First World Map - Critique Request & Greetings

Hello everyone.

First of all, I know you see newcomers all the time, but I'd like to thank anyone who takes the time to look at what I've got so far and see what you think.

I've used this map for a DnD campaign, and my players are about to start exploring the rest of the world. I think what I have now looks OK, but I know improvements can be made.

I've lurked here once or twice, though I never bothered to register before, but I figured I'd post what I've got so far and let that generate some feedback while I acquaint myself with the rest of the site.

General info:
    Map created in RPG Maker 2003, at a very large scale. I then took dozens of screenshots and spliced them together in GIMP, my photoshop variant of choice. My PC wasn't happy about the huge file size, but it did the trick.

The scale here is... large. I compared my map to a World Atlas I checked out at the library last week, and this screenshot here is slightly larger than the Eastern United States.

Anyway, here's what I've got:
    Slightly old map, with political notes
    Newest update, Vegetation only

Known Problems
    I have a habit of making blocky continents. I'm working on that, I swear.

PS: Testing attachment feature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WorldMapMed.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	18799  
    Last edited by DragonsWrath; 11-19-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a good start, the overall layout looks pretty nice so far. Just wish it were larger/higher rez - its very pixelated.

One thing I would suggest is more of a transition between the ice and the grasslands.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    It's a good start, the overall layout looks pretty nice so far. Just wish it were larger/higher rez - its very pixelated.

One thing I would suggest is more of a transition between the ice and the grasslands.
    I can do zat.

The transition is pretty sudden, but the program only allows solid transitions. I can't fade it. Having said that, I could mix the terrain both ways using that 'dots fading each direction' trick.
    Be back soon...

[Edit]
    I'm pretty sure this file would cause problems, but here's the altered large-scale image.

[Edit2]
    I forgot Photobucket re-sizes images. I changed the settings but I'm pretty sure it will still get altered.
    New Link
    Last edited by DragonsWrath; 11-20-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Now I've got it in an attachement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	18809  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the overall layout of the continent; it seems 'natural'. Like SG, I think the changeover from glacier to grassland is a bit forced. (If that IS a glacier - I wasn't quite sure. If it is a glacier, you might consider breaking up its straight edge a bit more; if you look at maps of projected routes of real glaciers, their leading edges aren't straight lines; parts of the glacier will travel faster than other parts, leaving a sort of rippled-curtain effect.)