Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of criticism

Wip In need of criticism

I joined this place a long time ago but never really did anything. Received a friendly reminded about account inactivity so I thought it would be great to drop by and maybe even post something. So here is my work.

It is not great, nor good in my opinion. Just a little something I did. If someone has an opinion I would love to hear it.

These maps are in no way complete and certainly lack parts maps ought to have. However they are still mine and I think that's what matters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Human continent1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	18820

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northdel.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	18821

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I quite like that first one, nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

re: In need of criticism

Ok. Your feet are too big and I think you better wash your hands.

Why don't you tell us what you were trying to achieve with the maps. I like them but I don't really know what you were aiming at. Are they supposed to be aged and battered?

The look a little like they are each two layers - a cleaner paper landmass on a grunge background. I think they'd be cool as a sculpture of balsa\parchment on dirty blue metal.

Sigurd

PS. I dont know about your feet but I think we all should wash our hands .
    Last edited by Sigurd; 11-20-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

I like the style, and the very saturated blue. The black level of the mountains appears to be a little darker than the trees; I think it would look better if the mountains were lightened just a little bit.

The compass rose doesn't really match the rest of the map. Also, I'm not sure about orienting the directions as you did adds anything to the map. It's confusing and doesn't convey any additional information, so I'd leave all the letters upright.

Be careful that your labels don't intersect with other lines of similar color, as that reduces legibility.

Nice work, I hope you keep at it!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Looks pretty good I think! Have some rep.
    Are the thin grey lines rivers? If so, you might be in trouble with the river police
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

These are pretty good go far (especially the first one), I think you have a pretty good idea for layouts etc.

But, as Sigurd said, give as bit of info on what you are trying to achieve and we should be able to send you off in the proper direction.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Andreoden

i think they look quite good.

Blog Entries

Good maps there - welcome. Definitely a better late than never intro

I like them too. Nicely done. That blue is very vibrant.

Have some rep!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

I really like the first one, it's very beautiful.

My only complaints are that the compass feels too modern for the map and the lines emanating from each point are a tad too dark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast