Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why won't my colors convert? (PS)

Post Why won't my colors convert? (PS)

OK, here is my issue. I have a map that I have done in Photoshop, and I like the colors that I have, but when I save it as a JPG, the colors are different. What am I doing wrong?

Here is a sample of what I am talking about. The first pic is the JPG output, and the green is jarring and ugly. The second is a screen shot with the accurate colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bad Color.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	18845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Good Color.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	18846  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

Try saving it as png, and see if the color loss is there as well.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Are you using "Save As" or are you using save to web? Not sure of all versions of photoshop, but one of the options in the save dialog for "save as" is a checkbox for colour profiles. Mine defaults to having it unchecked, and i've never had an issue with colour changes. perhaps that's what's happening? I also noticed one in the save for web dialog. it's called ICC profile in both places.. mine are unchecked.
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 11-22-2009 at 03:42 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

But... they are both jpegs?

How do you normally overcome this then? Because I've never seen one of your maps with greens like the first image has (although I happen to quite like that colouring )
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I can't help with this problem, but the second version looks very good!

And a map that contains one of the Dutch provinces (Friesland) is always cool
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I use the "Save As" command, and I have done it with ICC checked and with it not checked.

I have done some maps that has this problem before, and I have always gone back into the PS file and changed the colors until I got something that worked well enough.

I will try to save it again as a GIF using the "Save For Web" and see what happens.

Blog Entries

Weird. My first thought was that looks right like an ICC issue... The map wasn't created with an ICC profile. I don't think some of the JPG format saves ICC info - it might have been expanded tho. I thought maybe the save with to JPG which does not have it and save without one is the same thing. Try saving as TIFF and see by opening in the MS Picture Viewer to see if its alright.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Am I right in that you said the second image is a screenshot and the first one is the actual saved file? I'd say it's a monitor issue...looks like your monitor is a little bit lighter and grayer than what PS is using.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Or if it's like mine, the jpegs I save always seem to be different colours when viewed through Windows Picture Viewer. I'd have a mess around with the "Color Settings..." but it seems ok when viewed through Firefox as an attachment.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Make sure that you've calibrated your monitor for use with Photoshop. It has this annoying habit of tweaking the gamma as part of its startup, which means that your final image will not be the same as what you're working on.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photosho...E6E84AE5C.html is the CS4 help page on the subject of color profiles and includes a section on monitor calibration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast