Thread: [WIP] World of Near

Guild Novice

Map [WIP] World of Near

Hi All,

I am totally new here and also to mapmaking and actually a GIMP noobie as well. I wanted to play The Shadow of Yesterday, but the maps out there i either didn't like that much or were in all kind of languages, so i decided to try to create my own. I found RobA's excellent tutorial, and here is the result after several tries.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	near_map.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	21261

Any advice is welcome, but specifically, i would need help with the southern part, which is supposed to have some kind of snowcap. So, if anybody has a tutorial about such things or just advice how to do it, please do not hesitate to post it here.

Thanks
    -sc

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Good use of a great tut Personally, I'd just crop the southern part out. You've only got a piece of it there anyhow, and a mass of snow doesn't really add information to the map. If your heart is set on keeping it, try substituting a very pale bluish (because ice shadows are blue) for the base green and do the land part of the tut again.

Guild Novice

Thanks Gidde, i tried what you suggested, and this is how it came out. It is nice enough for me, i think

Btw, i forgot to give credit for your textured forests tutorial in my original post. It was also a great help in doing this map.

-sc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	near_map_snow.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	21263  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Good job using RobA's great tutorial - you'll be a mapping pro in no time
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Oh yeah, that came out nicely! Glad you found the forest tut useful. Looking forward to the next map

Looking really good. Nice color palette. Have you thought about the potability of adding a slight "land glow" to replace the white areas where the land mass touches the sea? Gidde has explained how to do this in a GIMP tutorial of Ascension's Atlas Style. You can find a link to this tutorial below:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?4084-[Award-Winner]-My-atlas-style-in-PS/page15

Cheers,

Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Arsheesh, thanks for the tip. I did it, this is how it looks. I am actually quite undecided if it is better this way or not, or simply doesn't change that much at all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	near_glow.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	21350

And that atlas style tutorial is simply great I am actually redoing this whole map in that style now...

-sc

Personally I prefer the updated land glow version, but do whatever seems best to you. I agree, Ascension's Atlas style is pretty cool; its the style that I am using for my first mape.

Cheers,

- Arsheesh

Great work! A lot of the other GIMP maps I looked at were nice but not the kind of thing I wanted to make, but this inspired me to atleast give GIMP a try.