Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Northlands

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Post The Northlands

A new project, as if I didn't already have too much stuff going at once. Stylistically, obviously I owe props to Tear and Landorl, but I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to copy or otherwise rip-off their excellent work.

This is a northern region, analogous to Sweden or thereabouts, climate-wise and somewhat culturally. I'm trying to develop my own style, and this is the first pass at it. Rivers are done; in fact they're extensions/part of the ocean layer, so as to avoid any hiding of them by subsequent terrain additions. I'm happy with the mountains and hills so far, I just want to make them look more elevated, but consistent with how they already look. More experimentation there. Then it's on to forests.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheNorthlands1 copy.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	961.7 KB 
ID:	18862  

Update. Mountains and forests finished. For the mountains, I used Pasis' style, with altered lighting fx. I've also started putting in cities (big dots) and towns. Those aren't done yet; I plan to add anchor and star icons to represent ports and capitals respectively.

Any comments or criticism?

Name:	TheNorthlands2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	18864  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good stuff. I like the colors and the forests are nice too. The rivers look good but I'm wondering if that one river in the far east is connecting to oceans or if one is an inland sea but cropped off at the bottom. Dots might be a lil big; makin em smaller would convey a sense of greater distance between places but I'm guilty of makin big dots all of the time, too
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yep, that's an inland sea, so that river system in the east is its outlet. As for the dots, I usually make 'em smaller, but I wanted to try something different this time around. We'll see how they look when everything else is added in...

And thanks for the compliments, man. Coming from you, that's a big deal.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Overall I like it. I'm not a big a fan of the forests, maybe because I've used that texture so much for other things I have trouble seeing it as forest. *shrugs*

Looking forward to seeing how you progress with it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Small update; I've added some text for natural features and put in some borders. Any complaints on legibility?

Name:	TheNorthlands3.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	18881  

Nice map. I like the shape of the land a lot. All in all legible...only some of the mountain ranges-names are a bit hard to read.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I really like how crisp and clean the coastlines are. The water texture is very nice too. Good stuff.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Stylistically, obviously I owe props to Tear and Landorl, but I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to copy or otherwise rip-off their excellent work.
    Just a small comment from me on this statement. I learned a lot from the members of this forum. If you consider my maps an inspiration... that's not a rip-off. It's flattering.

There are so many people doing maps in this style, that it is hardly a rip-off. Plus, I like some of the things you have done far better than some of mine. Keep it coming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast