Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elosha

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

OK so I went and redid the standard icons with some iso-cartoony icons. I like em and unless I figure out more little things to draw for unique places, like maybe a Colossus or Hanging Gardens, I'll call this done. Maybe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elosha.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	18982  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ramah wanted to see some more definition for my forests and I think this works pretty well...just some airbrushed olive green with a textured bevel for bumpiness. It looks a lil more like my usual sat-style and I was trying to avoid that but hand-drawn forests were not working.

Name:	Elosha.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	18989  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Yeah, forests are always a pain aren't they. Love what you have, especially the little city symbols, a few of them to seem to fade into the background a bit more than others, but thats just me nitpicking.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I love your location icons! The shadows on those are a bit harsh, though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah I agree with Tear, might think about softening the shadows just a bit, otherwise cool stuff as always.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Love your icons, especially the little castle and tower. Your forest texture helps a lot with making them more visible but there are a few places where it goes over lakes and so looks odd.

This nitpick aside, the map looks wonderful. Great stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, and personally I like the shadows being so bold.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I'll check those bumps in the lakes, thought I had masked that off. The shadows were ... just plain odd. I started by drawing the lil icon thingies, turning them into brushes and then adding shadows by hand but when I got to the town icons I had a whole bunch of shadow to do by hand...not gonna happen. So I started putting them into the initial drawing. I usually like my shadows at 50% opacity but with them being part of the whole brush I can't change them now. I guess I could go back over them with a low opacity eraser in areas where the terrain is light so they don't stand out so much.

I posted the icons that I made for this map in my brush thread here. Not as cool or as well-done as Ramah's but they served their purpose for what I needed.

Just for fun I thought that I'd post how this map started...a blend my Jasmine Coast map and my Aalder map. Lots of layers, colors, filters, and hand work later I ended up with the first image in the thread.

Name:	elosha 1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	19111  

Whoa, nice is a great enough word for this. You must tell me, how do you do the green grassy landmass, especially the area in the upper, eastern quarter of the map, its the type of green land I've been trying to make but have failed at.

Tried to add rep but need to spread some more around first, nabbing a copy of this.

-D-
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 12-02-2009 at 01:12 AM.
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast