Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minduril WIP

Blog Entries

Wip Minduril WIP

A map using Ascension's Atlas Style in Gimp for the basic land colors, Torq's mountains using Wilbur and Gimp for high ground and mountains. I prefer to use Autorealm for the land shapes since i can just make the map black and white and skip most of the coastline generation steps in various tuts that way.

This is early of course, not all the mountains or Lakes in it yet.

Any comments?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minduril.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	39263

Those mountains look really nice!!

Hey, you're right, those mountains are nice! You should post a close up of those

Blog Entries

Thanks, that was done after saving out the ascension process as a .png pic, currently I'm trying it by adding in the wilbur mountains on the hardlight land color layer instead. And yeah Torq's method is nice, it also makes cool loooking lakes I think. I just use the process he outlines in his tut for water instead, to make diff depths, with the upper layers a bit less opaque.

Guild Novice

The mountains are great! And the overall coloring is really nice. The coast looks a little too pixelated, methinks...

Between Greyhawk and Possum Kingdom, S.C.

Ditto here. Nice job !

Blog Entries

Default 10/20 updated

Name:	Minduril2.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	39367

This is a newer version, some more color and shading work, some mountains and a large (great lakes sized?) lake added on the color layer. I wanted to confine and better control where the desert and badlands ended up so i used an additional mask of just the lower landmass to add the desert areas. Next more mountains and additional lakes and hopefully decent looking rivers. The darker bands are from the height layer i used for the land, after i bumped the colors i put it over top in darken only mode to try to vary the greens, can always reduce it if it's too dark.

Lemme know if you all think it's an improvement or a step back. Thanks for the comments so far.
    Last edited by Revock; 10-20-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: stupid photo bucket i uploaded it instead

I personally think it's a bit of a step back.
    The mountains the first time were lovely. Now they're tiny and insignificant. The lake edges are also blurry which looks odd compared to clear-cut coastlines. The terrain colours are nice, but it could use a bit more of a change-up with the textures, especially on the northern landmass.

Blog Entries

Ok, thanks, i was thinking I'd made them too large the first time for a continent sized map, i can mess with that easily enough, the original generation of them was done in a separate Gimp document at 1024 X 1024 and pasted into the map as a layer. big as ya want 'em that way. As far as blurriness? perhaps that comes from scaling down too far.. Although i did blur randomly over the generated terrain thinking a high level of detail shouldn't show over a large landmass. All that is changeable. I'll post some other ideas for critique.

Blog Entries

This has the grid and a simple north arrow added for now plus another mountain and a bit of an attempt to break up the northern landmass a bit, there'll be more mountains and water before it's done but non of the mountains will be appreciably bigger Although i see the point about the first version's mountains, they popped more cause they weren't shaded with the landmass and i'd blended about the same size mountain using more tans and browns. Last one before i finish it and I'm personally satisfied,, btw found the post about Deep Zoom Explorer, way cool, might do a whole world, if it takes me a week or slightly less for one quadrant I'll have a nice world map in quick order.

Name:	Minduril2.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.79 MB 
ID:	39408

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast