Thread: November Entry - Planet Skaro

Map November Entry - Planet Skaro

My entry is Doctor Who-inspired. This is the planet Skaro on the eve of the 1000 Year War. Now I all I need to do is put it through the war, at the end of which the two humanoid races of Skaro will have all but wiped each other out, leading to the creation of the most horrific force for destruction ever unleashed on time and space - the Daleks.

This map is almost entirely speculative, although a small part is based on the map table General Ravon uses in Genesis of the Daleks. I'm not entirely happy with it, but I'm doing NaNoWriMo, so I can't afford to be fussing over my map too much.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skaro.jpg 
Views:	1027 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	18867  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 11-26-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Also, you do know you have only 2 days left? Then the challenge ends.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Map And now the after version

As you can see, my basic concept was to represent the depth of time represented by a thousand years of conflict by splitting it into centuries and reducing opacity 10% per century into the past. It runs into a little trouble in that 10% isn't always enough to differentiate clearly, but it gives the general idea of which parts of the destruction have "faded into the past" and which are fresh wounds. I'm pretty happy with that part of it, and I learned some useful new GIMP skills while doing this map.

This map portrays Skaro as it might have existed at the beginning of "Genesis of the Daleks". It draws on BBC intellectual properties from "Doctor Who" and is basically a piece of fanfiction done as a map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skaro_ruined.jpg 
Views:	1768 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	18946