Thread: First Map - help needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post First Map - help needed

Hi, all - this is my first post.

Attached is a map of a nondescript island I made using Paintshop 9 - I've read several tutorials, and they all looked really useful, but they all involved programs that I don't have or am not familiar with. So I decided to strike out on my own.

Anyhow, any feedback on advice or how to improve would be extremely welcome (especially if anyone has any Paintshop know-how.) Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mounatins.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	482.9 KB 
ID:	18883  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm not sure what sort of filters you can run in PSP, I haven't used that in over 10 years but I do have 2 general tidbits: your coast is fairly smooth and needs to be more jagged and the rivers need more curviness. Overall a pretty good start, though so I'm sure that you'll be doing some really fine stuff in a short time.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

I am with Ascention on the coast and rivers, also I am not sure what the general rule is for lakes but it would seem to me that they need some sort of outlet unless the rate of evaporation is enough to keep them from flooding.

Thanks for the tips - this is a new version with that advice in mind.

Views:	65 
Size:	813.1 KB 
ID:	18895  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

OK, now let's go a few steps further (puts on his teacher hat). Your rivers need to be the same color as the ocean along the coast, helps it all hang together better and causes less distraction. They, also, could stand to be thinner and this would allow you to put some real curves and meandering in there. I like that pattern in the ocean but maybe blur it a tad. When representing height, for the mountains, lighter colors are usually seen as being higher and darker colors as lower so you might want to reverse your colors there...maybe add a bit of brown to them as well and blur that pattern a bit. Not wild about the ivy leaf pattern but maybe if you made it smaller or blurred it or both then maybe it wouldn't be so obvious.

Please don't take my opinions as canon...just some tips because I think you have a very solid start and I'm just tryin to help ya along.

Cheers, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is with the oceans, mountains and forests redone. Thanks for the help - it's really helpful.

Views:	63 
Size:	618.8 KB 
ID:	18922  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Its really starting to come along.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looking good! I particularly like your mountain style.

Again, thanks for all your help, everypeople. I've made a new map, and I think I've got a grip on this. Does anyone have any other suggestions/critiques? I am going to be using this style to make some maps for a book, so advice is appreciated a lot a lot (phrase repetition for emphasis.)

Name:	Island Map.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	841.0 KB 
ID:	18937  

On that second one, I'd say make the coastlines (if that's what the thick black lines are) thinner, more like the first map.

I prefer the second map's rivers to the first's though.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.