Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What other hobbies do you have?

I agree about the Wilderlands. I think modern campaign designers went for the "no wasting" approach to design. They tend to create very tight and restrictive paths for their worlds so that there is no choice but to experience everything they have spent the time, money and effort to create. The same can be seen in computer games, particularly so-called rpgs. Every now and then some creative people come along and buck this trend to give you the most open-ended experience possible. In computer games Oblivion is a great example. If you havn't played it, I recommend it comlpetely.

The Wilderlands setting does the same thing in my view for a campaign setting. It hearkens back to the, maybe more naive, days when designers did not underestimate the power of creating the sense among players that their characters could literally go anywhere and do anything. In my view this sense of character freedom more than compensates for a slightly cheesy world view as evident from the source books and some sketchy mapping.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

I seem to have some in common with Arcana there.

I collect swords and knives (functional, not decorative).
    I play drums in a local funk band.
    I play piano/keys/organ in a local jazz/jam band.
    I collect comic books.
    I work on my web site(s).

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.

These days its quite limited.

Computer graphics (3d and 2d) still trying to figure it all out
    RPGs when I can squeeze in the time
    Spending time with my family
    Work (I'm an IT admin)

Apparently I had a lot more hobbies at some point, but they have all been lost or misplaced because of time and his evil sister money.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Lets see-

• Bicycling
    • Reading
    • Cooking
    • Lego Robotics
    • Playing with computer graphics

At least when real life gives me the time or any of these

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Running two weekly campaigns takes the most time - though making maps for said campaigns has recently taken over as the biggest prep time drain. I've just started making maps on the computer and I'm loving learning the details of gimp for that. Otherwise squash, learning Polish (more necessity than hobby ) and odd bits of sketching make up my hobbies. In the day job I am a research physicist.

Guild Journeyer

I have way too many hobbies. In no particular order:

Glassblowing (by far the biggest)
    Woodworking (www.blankenship.com)
    Miniature painting
    Composing (mostly classical these days)
    Guitar
    Piano
    3D Animation
    World of Warcraft (I know, I know. My precious...)
    In theory, 40K, Warhammer, Hordes & Warmachine (haven't played in over a year, but I keep working on the armies)
    Scale models (mostly aircraft)
    AD&D campaign running since 1978 (on hiatus atm while I commute from Texas to California every month)

loyd

And Geocaching. And pottery, but not since I moved. Forgot those!

-Rob A>

loydb- glassblowing....cool! (or more correctly "hot" hehe.) Is that something you do at home or in a studio? (or do you have a studio in your home)?

Guild Journeyer

I have a studio in my house (a converted bedroom). I do primarily torch work -- making beads, marbles, pipes, pendants, goblets (badly), etc. There's not a glory hole full of molten glass in the bedroom

loyd

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How much would you charge me to glassblow a stylized Compass Rose? Don't laugh...I'm not joking....I think it would be cool to have.

I'm also thinking about getting a compass rose tattoo.

I'm a nut.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

My hobbies.

Well, been Playing D&D in all it's forms since 1977 or so, and as one can guess, I have pretty much always been the game master.

Other than D&D, I also collect and play the D&D Miniatures Game
    Tried the Axis and Allies Miniatures game
    Play Battlefield 2 including modding my own 'map' for that game.
    I love map maiking (obviously), and should look at getting into collecting 'maps'
    (Seem recall a book from High School called the Atlas of Fantasy that had Fantasy Maps from all over, Oz, Melnibone, Pern, etc)
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12