Thread: The Sol Proximity Chart

Guild Apprentice Astrocartician's Avatar

Post The Sol Proximity Chart

This is a 3-D chart of all the star systems within 13 light years of Sol. I like to experiment with different ways to show the three dimensions needed for star charts. This is one that I came up with. It uses asenders like an isometric type chart but in this one the x and y axises are perpendicular making it orthographic.

I created a web site to sell these a couple years ago and I sold 3 of them. Not a lot of money in this business.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry about the image. I beleive I had an export problem with CorelDraw and I did not notice. I will fix it and repost. If the moderators wish to delete this thread you may do so.

O.K. This is better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GuildDesign01_J2.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	18896  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Now if only I could understand it...looks like a circuit board to me It's way over my head to comprehend so I'll say good job
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like it. Much clearer than most star maps that try to represent three dimensions.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Very Nice. I Kinda understand it, but then again, I may be just deluding myself
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yes, I admit it is a bit difficult to understand. If you shrink it so that the entire map portion can be seen it would help. There is a small diagram next to the symbol key that shows the map turned 90 degrees. It gives you a different perspective and I hope that helps a little.

The map uses bars to show increasing/decreasing levels of the z axis which runs from +12 to -12 light-years. The thicker and lighter the bar the higher on the z axis. The the lighter colored bars go from +12 to 0. There are 2 sets of these bars on the top and bottom. The darker bars go from 0 to -12 and there are also 2 sets of those on the the left and right. The bars can be thought of as lying on a plane that runs from the edge of the map to the center at a 45 degree angle and ending at the 0 level. Each star system's z level is shown by connecting the star to the plane by a line(ascender) that runs parralel to the 0 plane. The ascender intersects the plane where, from the users perspective, shows the z scale as the same as the x and y scales. So, for example, Wolf 359 is at +6.46z and it's ascender intersects the +z bar plane at 6.46 light-years from the center. Also, each star is connected only to the nearest set of bars.

I hope this helps. My next chart solves this problem by using an entirely different system to show the z dimension. It seems to be clearer than this one and you guys can let me know if I'm correct. It is almost finished. I need to add labels and details to the star systems. What I might do is tidy it up a bit and put in the scifi/modern WIP section.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That helps a ton, thanks.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Astrocartician View Post
    Yes, I admit it is a bit difficult to understand.
    I don't care! I love it! REP!

I don't care! I love it! REP!
    Thank You!