Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hano's Edges

Map Hano's Edges

Hello everybody. I would like to present the first part of my workshop on Hano's Edges.

This is a personal universe built many years ago, and I want now to give it new colours. I am starting with the old folklore and a new cartography. Before starting the long project, I am testing some techniques.

Part 1: Contouring + Colouring
    I guess it is the easier part of the job. I have taken a not finished hand-drawn map, and I have digitalized the contours. Else, for the fun, I have coloured the map. In part 2, I will probably try to put mountains and forests.

The three files given are:
    - arbre_monde (world tree), the representation of the world (a bad imitation of Yggdrasil in the Norse Mythology).
    - kscan_001, the hand-drawn map
    - hano_edges 1.1, my first digital try (updated).

I need some informations about the colouring. I would like to know what can I do better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kscan_0001.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	6002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arbre_monde.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	6004   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	203_hano_edges_1.1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	6008  
    Last edited by Morshwan; 08-17-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Map updated

I see those rays in the bottom right hand corner of the first two maps in a lot of maps, what are they for?

crackerjake >> That is a good question. Unfortunately, I don't really know. Depending the representation, these rays can help in routing I guess, but for example here: example of rays, I have no ideas.

In my maps, it is for decoration and for helping marines to sail more efficiently. I know, my cartridge is not finished, so there are no scales and no compass rose (it will take place in the meet of all rays).

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjake View Post
    I see those rays in the bottom right hand corner of the first two maps in a lot of maps, what are they for?
    Compass directions. They help to put the map in the right angle with reality. A map would be useless for orienteering or navigating without them. Often, maps only have the (magnetic) North indicated, but historical maps for navigation always had N, E, S, W; NE, SE, SW, NW; plus the directions between all these. I don't know if modern navigation maps have all of these.

-ile

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkka View Post
    Compass directions. They help to put the map in the right angle with reality. A map would be useless for orienteering or navigating without them. Often, maps only have the (magnetic) North indicated, but historical maps for navigation always had N, E, S, W; NE, SE, SW, NW; plus the directions between all these. I don't know if modern navigation maps have all of these.

-ile
    Right... technically, these maps have (clockwise) N, N-NE, NE, E-NE, E, E-SE,SE, S-SE, S, S-SW, SW, W-SW, W, W-NW,NW, N-NW and finally back around to N. Whew... I THINK I got all those right....

Basically. W-NW is More Westerly than North-Westerly, while N-NW is more Northerly than North-Westerly

Though I am in no way a cartography expert, I "expect" where all the points converge is meant to be somewhere on the equator so the East-West line is overlapping the equator.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The lines are called rhumb lines (lines of constant magnetic bearing). They were used on navigation charts such as portolan charts.

Thanks you Waldronate for this enlightenment.

I have updated the map, adding the compass rose and moving lines (so long to correspond with the compass, The Gimp is not very precise).

oh, d'oh, thanks

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very nice, about all I can say is that it's a tad green...maybe a bit more red needed to make it look more like parchment (if you were indeed going for parchment). Otherwise, it looks very good, so kudos.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hi everybody.

I finally found a way to represent the mountains on my map. I need know to think about the trees and the cities.

My only hope is I will not wait for one year to find the key of the problem.

Part 2: Mountains
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	204_hano_edges_1.3.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	461.2 KB 
ID:	19065  
    Last edited by Morshwan; 12-01-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast