Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lormwen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Wip Lormwen

Okay so I think I'm starting to get how to make mountains with the bevel tool, though I cant seem to get them to blend in with the ground. I still also want to add some cities and such. Otherwise, here's some lore o_O

The mainland region of Lormwen has been under the control of the elves for the past 3000 years. Recently, within the past 300 years, humanity appeared from the west in massive ships, and established a naval empire on the islands of Tol Lona and Tol Andu. The elves, fearing invasion, have spent the past three centuries launching relentless assaults on these human nations.

10 years ago a rabbitoid race, known as the Tharan, began a series of their own assaults on the elven cities in the forests of Aurithorn and Sylverthorn. The elves were quickly overrun due to the Tharans' massive numbers, as well as the fact that most if the elvish military was on a campaign against the human empire.

With news of the Tharan invasion, the elvish navy abandoned the naval campaign and are now working on securing the grasslands and cities along the coast. However, in the confusion, the elves are no longer united, and have fragmented into the three elvish nations of Ceneluhn, Anduluhn, and Grathluhn.

At the moment, the Humans and the Tharan are coordinating efforts to bringdown elvish rule, and to enslave the elves for trade across the western sea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lormwen.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	18919  
    Last edited by Rythal; 11-24-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: had to attach the map

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The trick that I use to cover up bad mountain slopes is to just put forests on top of that area.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

okay so the map got... changed a lot but thats allright cause I like how its looking so far. Still havent gotten the rivers to work, so next update they'll be included.

Oh and btw thanks ascension

Views:	101 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	18980  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it, not sure about the black sea but that's my own opinion. The bevel that you're using still makes the mountains look a little bit like plastic but I'm not sure what you can do with Corel. Maybe tiny ridge lines, beveled the same way, will alleviate it...I dunno. The forests and land look pretty good and mountains are always a pain for nearly everyone.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

I think that if you were to darken the edges of the mountain a bit, they would look better. The edges being the bottom, maybe blur them up some as well.

yah thanks, I found a feathering tool, so now the mountains look much more natural. of cours, now the forests are all messed up because it looks like they stop 100 m from the bottom of the mountains :p

will upload once the forests are done

I like the dark sea.

So I've uploaded 2 here, both with mountains fixed, forests updated, labels added, and rivers added. The oceans are different though...

I cant decide which version is better... though I'm starting to lean towards the blue ocean one... any thoughts?

there are still a lot of minor things to work out still

Views:	54 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	19007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lormwen_blue.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	19008  

Blog Entries

I prefer the one with blue sea. Now that you've changed it from the original, very vibrant blue it looks a lot better. And the edge of the mountains look a lot better for being feathered a little.

That texture you have over it... I thought originally it was to give the land some texture but is it intended to be the material the map is painted on? If not it looks a little odd that it goes over the mountains but if it is a leather effect you want for the whole map then it's fine.

Nice work.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

The blue sea is cooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast