Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP]Caelun - First Map

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

What I do for snow is to put a new layer on top of everything, airbrush in some white, set the layer's blend to hue or color (turns the area underneath to grayscale basically), then add a layer style of color overlay with a light blue color and a blend of overlay. Since you don't have layer styles in Gimp I would add a new layer and airbrush in some light blue and set the blend to overlay. I do the same thing for "blasted lands" but with browns instead of blues.
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-26-2009 at 07:13 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Yeah, I was able to acquire photoshop recently, so I'm able to use layer styles. I'll have a go at it. I need to make the northernmost continent more snowy, and the southernmost more deserty? xD

Edit: That seemed to help out a lot, I'll upload another picture here in a bit. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to make the southern continent less bare? I can't really have trees, because I intend it to just be a massive desert, but it just feels really bare, I don't know what else I should do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caelun4.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.00 MB 
ID:	18983  
    Last edited by thesubatomic; 11-26-2009 at 07:45 PM.

I'd put some green around the edges. Winds would carry rain inland a way. Maybe add some scrubland around the mountains. Maybe a canyon or a volcano or cracks or plateaus. Maybe a lake with an oasis.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Guild Novice

Now, how would I go about adding these things. I can manage the grass and scrubland, but how would I do the land features? I could do a lake, but I'm confused as to exactly how I would make it look decent, rather than just flat paint.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think the whole thing looks pretty nice, except the rivers. They seem too stylized to go with the rest of the map, which has more of a realistic flavor to it. Overall tho, it's gorgeous.

Guild Novice

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, the rivers are a bit too rounded for me. Something I'll have to work on.

Well adding those things would be a question for the author of the tut you're using, Tear if I'm not mistaken, or experimentation. I went and threw in the things that I mentioned in about 15 minutes. They aren't perfect, just an idea to show ya. The forests would be like other forests and the scrubland would the same way except with browns. The lake I just chopped a piece out of the ocean and plopped it down and then took your coastal stroke and used that color to make a river. The canyon was just making something jagged and then putting an outer bevel on it. The volcano was a bunch of ridge lines, with an outer bevel, and then the lava was just some red with an inner glow of orange. Lastly I added a shadow for the volcano to give it some height.

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	18986  

Guild Novice

That looks pretty good, thanks for the ideas. I'll totally play around with it a bit and see if I can't get anything decent.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ascension's 15 minutes of playing around is like brain surgery to the rest of us...

Guild Novice

Here we go. I did a little bit of work. Added a few bodies of water up in the mountains, the lake to the north is a dormant volcano, where a lake has formed over the years.

Name:	Caelun4.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	18987  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast