Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP]Caelun - First Map

Guild Novice

Wip [WIP]Caelun - First Map

Well, I've gotten my continents shaped, and that's really about it aside from some basic textures, and an outline of the continents. I've been using GIMP to make the map so far.

I think I've got a decent start here, if anyone would be willing to give me some tips, I would greatly appreciate them. I've got less than zero artistic skill, and this is quite possibly the hardest thing ever.

In any case, I'm trying to make the map for a world I've built. I've got some basic sketches that work for now, but I'm really looking for something more refined. I appreciate you all checking out my map, and I anticipate some good feedback, whether positive or negative. Thanks!

Also, the attachment dialog doesn't seem to be working in Chrome. Is this a known issue?

In any case, in lieu of no attatchments, here's a link.

Here Updated it a bit. Need to find some brushes to mark places of interest.
    With Labels - I don't really like the text very much, I really hate working with GMIP, it's so much less powerful than photoshop.

Edit: Crap, I think this might go in Regional/World Mapping. My bad. I wasn't really thinking that it was worth much.
    Last edited by thesubatomic; 11-25-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off...Welcome Aboard!

I've moved your thread to the Regional/World mapping forum, so you're all set there.

Not sure about the Chrome issue, I generally use Firefox.

I like what you have for your map so far, good color scheme and interesting shapes to the land. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

good first start.

I'm fairly new myself. The only tip I can think of at this time, is to watch the symetrical nature of the land masses. you've got three outer, three inner, then a circular island chain. I would try playing around a bit, to get the feel of the central hotspot without being too obvious.

I look forward to seeing how it develops.

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Guild Novice

Well, I can see that they are unconventionally placed, I suppose. But the story behind the land, was that a group of very powerful wizards in the distant past tried to summon a being of immense power to the world, for whatever reason. At the time, there was a large political movement gaining against the use of arcane magic, which ended up forming the Mage Slayer's Guild. Well, long story short, the Mage Slayer's Guild interrupted the summoning, shattering the large central continent, hence the crater shaped island ring in the center.

Also, I was going for more of this style, but I would love to figure out how to make something decent looking with actual topographic features. Sadly, I'm using GIMP and I can't get a tutorial to work well.
    Last edited by thesubatomic; 11-25-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it's a really nice start, has a nice feel to it...something that I could never do.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

You're kidding right? I love your maps. They're pretty much amazing. xD

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've been doing satellite-style for 6 years so it's been hard for me to soften up and get more artsy. Just keep on doin what yer doin and you'll be fine.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Well, I'll take your word for it. I tried to go towards more of an artsy feel, just because my attempt at a satellite was down right embarrassing. But yeah, thanks for the words of encouragement.

I think you're off to a fine start. I like the blues of the water and the way it contrasts to the color of the land. I also kind of like that font.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Guild Novice

Updated it, did quite a bit of work over the past two days or so. Still working though.

Does anyone know how I would go about giving the northern areas more of a snowy feeling?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caelun4.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	18981  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast