Thread: Sinister Secret

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Wip Sinister Secret

I had the honor of DMing a long-running campaign which we managed to stick with for several years. It all began with an adaptation of a certain commercial adventure set in the town of Saltmarsh about which very little information was provided. I changed the name to Salthaven (because who would want to live in a town called Saltmarsh?) and the place became our base for years of adventure. This is the first pen and paper map I did of the place, along with a later version traced out in Illustrator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salthaven.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	18944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salthaven-map.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	18945  
    Last edited by Meshon; 11-25-2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: This is a work in progress, and not a completed map.

Guild Journeyer

Looks pretty good, but no warf or docks?
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

There's room left for them and three other empty spots within the town walls. I suspect there may be some finishing touches yet to be done. The large empty spaces might be reserved for some use other than putting up a building, but they should still be labeled (e.g., "Militia Practice Yard"). I would also expect a compass rose, the name of the town, and a name for the river before this was "finished. Since it is a gaming map, I would also anticipate a lot of numbers to go with a key to the map identifying various buildings.

What's there is a pretty good town full of buildings. Keep mapping.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Wip

Thanks for the feedback! All my maps for this long campaign tended to be very utilitarian so it's great to get some ideas on making this a better map. Originally the hard-working fishers of Salthaven just pulled their boats up to the quay, but I'm thinking they deserve some docks now.

I also got rid of the drab background to fit in some green space. I'm trying to do this town entirely in Illustrator but further steps may require some fine tuning in Photoshop.

cheers,
    Meshon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salthaven2.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	18979  
    Last edited by Meshon; 11-26-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Added the map and notes.