Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec Lite Entry - Cathedral of the Living God

No, *I* wouldn't want a glass roof over my head...but then I'm paranoid. I do think it's a roof, though. Check out the black-and-white floorplan vs the color image. You can see roof details in the color image instead of all of the little alcoves and such. Besides, wouldn't it be sacreligious or rude or something to be walking on your icon?

In a similar, but completely different, vein: I go to trade-shows and it seems like companies buy ads everywhere at these events...even sliced up billboards pasted to thr fronts of steps. I am always amazed when some company buys logos on the little urinal mats in the bathrooms. Not a good combo if you ask me. There are some places you shouldn't put your brand.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It would never work as a window, trust me, stained glass is what I do for a living. It would need so much support as to be infeasible. Look at the size, it's like 100 feet across. Then the pieces are also not possible with medieval technology. I could go into all sorts of reasons and provide a lengthy history lesson/instruction but suffice it to say that the best it could be would be a mosaic grouted onto on a dome. But that would need repair every spring as well so the upkeep would be horrendous.
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-03-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I didn't say it was a *practical* roof.

You do stained glass? Please post some of your stuff in the General Discussion sometime. Love to see it.
    M

It's in my album on my user page.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Guild Apprentice

Whoaaaaa there kids! Firstly, it is a dome, a geodesic constructed dome so rainfall and other inclement weather would roll off. Secondly it is about a hundred feet across but the structure of the dome would support the glass or it could be plex or another light-weight translucent material. The Catedral Metropolitana de Brasília was kind of my inspiration for the all of the glass thinking of how ethereal and inspirational that would feel on a sunny day or any day. Plus this would more than likely have to built in a dry climate.
    Last edited by PlumCrazy; 12-03-2009 at 10:50 PM.

If it's modern then that's cool...the Catedral there is colored plexiglass then painted.

I don't think medieval churches had that many cars parked around them, so I assumed it was modern.

lol. I didn't even notice the cars...though I did get a modern vibe from it. It's not exactly gothic.
    M

I thought they were tombstones Getting up close I can see the windshields.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    lol. I didn't even notice the cars...though I did get a modern vibe from it. It's not exactly gothic.
    M
    lol, no it would be very contemporay...I'll sketch up a quick perspective view.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast