Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

I am somewhat stuck on page 7 with the elevation base. I opted to use difference clouds to get the base down for the elevation, but I cannot tweak it, each time I do it just gives me a perfect circle. I assume my brush size is too big but even making it a small, low opacity brush I still cannot replicate results.

Great work!

I've been able to create something quite respectable, however there is one problem.

Where did you get the patterns used in your guide?

Ok past the first problem, now I cannot for the life of me get my rivers to show.

You could give lessons on how to write tutorials. Having read a ton of them I think yours was about the best I have seen. I just finished going through this. Turned out pretty decent, though "Oh god no" did enter my mind when you wanted me to use the pen tool. I dread that thing. I may have slipped up somewhere since when I went to place the forests the elevations layer was above the base color and blocked everything until I moved it. Looks pretty decent though. All that anime I colored is seeping into my brain saying it needs to be brighter. Maybe a lens flare or two. I should probably ignore those inclinations though.

RJames112, you might make sure you are on the mask layer when you tell it to stroke the river and not the land layer next to it. At least I kept making that mistake when I was trying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutorial exercise 1 copy.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	41457  

Great tutorial!
    For the inexperienced Photoshop user that might be hard at first. Still it is a great tutorial.

Tear, this a fantastic tutorial, and a great help. But I have one question. You're working at a relatively small image size, and after trying the cloud filter on a large canvas, I understand why. But how do you go about upscaling the map for presentation? The one I'm working on, I've made the size of my desktop wallpaper, at 500 dpi, and I still get VERY jagged, pixelated edges with just a small zoom factor. Any help or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know much about anything, but I know fractal patterns are scaleable. There should be some way to adjust the cloud render to make the "clouds" bigger

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected razcor's Avatar

I must thank you very much for your accurate and useful tutorial! It's outstanding...

Used to make my first map, WIP at the moment, here in Regional/World Mapping

This is the latest version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diciannovesima_bozza.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	41673

Guild Novice

I really liked this style of map, because the main Saderan map reminds me of when I used to sneak looks in the big world atlas that was in our Elementary School library. I always wanted to know 'what was out there' and I would wonder what it would look like for real. The maps were to me, the first photographs of the other side of the world. I decided that since he had a tutorial up (The one I'm replying to..) that I would share my progress. I must admit however, that "Step Two" had me confounded a few times. I just have a hard time going down one column then back up to read hte rest, and not go straight down as the pages in the PDF go. I found I had to back up several times, erase 4 layers of work - because either it didn't make sense, or I knew I had gotten confused with order again. I kept trying, throwing in a few tricks I know, and this is how my sea floor is turning out thus far.. - I do have plans to make parts of my 'ocean' much more prominent, but I love the downplayed aspect of this. I think I'm going to continue with the method of a muted ocean map - or perhaps do another version where the lands are muted - and 'unimportant'. However, so far, this is what I have. I thought I would share, because quite frankly I'm a little proud of it! This took me most of today to work on.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapWIP01.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	769.5 KB 
ID:	42649

Quote Originally Posted by rjames112 View Post
    I am somewhat stuck on page 7 with the elevation base. I opted to use difference clouds to get the base down for the elevation, but I cannot tweak it, each time I do it just gives me a perfect circle. I assume my brush size is too big but even making it a small, low opacity brush I still cannot replicate results.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjames112 View Post
    Ok past the first problem, now I cannot for the life of me get my rivers to show.
    How did you get this to work for you? I'm having similar issues. No matter what I do I can't seem to get any elevation.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast