Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

Awesome tutorial!! this is what I really needed!

My result (with some personal adjustment)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old2db.jpg 
Views:	744 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	49143

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Thanks to this tutorial i started seach more and gave me the vision that wut i can do trying map.

Thanks a lots for open my eyes

PS. Just found problens trying to do the sea effects around the coast... cant undertand the channel things

This tutorial is amazing and I've been following it well enough. The only problem is I noticed there are certain terrain types it doesn't cover like marshes/swamps and deserts. Any advice for those?

My first attempt with this tutorial. I'm new at this, and felt this tutorial did a great job introducing a lot of excellent tools to use. Excited to continue using this to help me worldbuild!
    Last edited by RobA; 01-25-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppydapunk View Post
    My first attempt with this tutorial. I'm new at this, and felt this tutorial did a great job introducing a lot of excellent tools to use. Excited to continue using this to help me worldbuild!
    Your attachment failed - care to re-upload? Or post it as a WIP in the WIP forums.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Drakedragon View Post
    This tutorial is amazing and I've been following it well enough. The only problem is I noticed there are certain terrain types it doesn't cover like marshes/swamps and deserts. Any advice for those?
    Same question that he had, also any tips on giving the mountains a bit more oompf so they stand out a little more?

Info on the labeling, borders, snazzy symbols and such on his Saderan map would also be appreciated, but mainly just curious about mountains and those other terrain types

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected TempyTheCleric's Avatar

oh goodness this tutorial is kind of amazing. thank you so much!

Question

First time poster, first time doing any of this, totally new to any serious usage of graphics design software. This is extremely helpful! Thanks!

Coming from a pretty much totally new perspective, I can echo that there are a couple of spots where I didn't know from the tutorial to deselect my land selection, and ended up, for example, only filling the ocean texture under the land (thus having no effect except slightly on the coastlines -- or is that intended?). I'm still going through it for the first time, but I will probably go through it again and, if it would be helpful, I could point out exactly where those spots were.

But the thing that's totally kicking my butt and I would so wildly appreciate any help with, is the mountain drawing thing. You (Tear) have such nice smooth elevation there, and I've seen some beautiful mountains in this thread, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to do that. I've been experimenting with all sorts of brushes, and only recently have even come close to anything that isn't nose-scrunching. Or at least that is less nose-scrunching.

Would anyone mind giving some very specific methodology advice on how to do the mountains? I'd hugely appreciate it! I'm using a tablet and PS5.1, for the record.

Here's what I've come up with so far. :/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Globu's awful mountains 1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	55912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Globu's awful mountains 2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	55913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Globu's awful mountains 3.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	55914

A few things I, as a rank amateur, find difficult:

My version of photoshop doesn't have the "Group with last layer" menu command referenced, so I do it manually by highlighting the two layers and selecting group --> layers, I don't think I did it right.

The "wrinkle" function on my photoshop is much more aggressive than his, it really wrinkles up the ocean and you have to turn it down.

I'm not clear when to deselect the selections you make with the mask, sometimes it seems like the selection should be left in place when moving to the next step, sometimes it doesn't. I end up frequently applying ocean effects across my land masses.

I am using photoshop 12.0.4

Group with last layer/group with previous is simply called create clipping mask in later versions of Photoshop.

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast