Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

Trying this out as a total newb with PS CS2 ... and i hit a first snag. I am on page 7, so far all went well...but now i have the base color layer and it is in front of everything...i have only a brown square before me. What happened?

I do not have, with PS CS2, the option Layer>group with previous ... instead it is only Layer>group layers ... is that a problem? From the picture it seems right as it is one step over the land layer a bit to the right... so the hierarchy seems right.

Any ideas what i did wrong?

Thanks in advance.

E.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

"Group with Previous" was renamed to "Create Clipping Mask" in later versions.
    Sorry for the confusion.

Guild Apprentice

Working through the tutorial right now, and on the first step there is a tricky thing for GIMP users.

We do NOT have a threshold adjustment layer.

I have been able to get a similar effect by simply duplicating the "background" layer and then running the threshold adjustment on the duplicate.

The annoying part is when I get to editing the image (removing or adding land), I am flying blind. I can edit the original cloud image, but I do not get a real-time view of what my brush strokes are doing. So, my first attempt left me with some areas that were too rounded for my taste.

I think this can be worked around, it just involves a bit more of a time commitment from GIMP users.

Perhaps a more experienced GIMP person knows of a better way to work around the lack of Threshold Adjustment Layers. There are on plugins that I can find.

On to the next step!

Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful tutorial with us, Tear.
    I will definitely try it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    "Group with Previous" was renamed to "Create Clipping Mask" in later versions.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Cool, that worked. Thanks a lot, Tear. Highly appreciated and very nice tut!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! I went through it in about 5 hours so it wasn't terribly fast for me but I wanted to be sure I followed the steps exactly. This introduced me to even more ways to use photoshop and that really rocks.

The only difficulty I had was when it came to stroking the river paths. When I did it they looked very pixelated and after some diagnoses and various efforts I discovered the culprit was the stroke effect on the land layer mask. I changed it to a drop shadow with no distance and made it real tight and that got me a slight stroke that didn't pixelate the river paths. Rivers is where I spent most of the time...if I had skipped that part the rest was probably not much more than 2 hours.

I used this effort to create a world map which contains two regions I have mapped before, Voradin and The Wilderlands of Lords. This involved going back into the initial land mass set up and tweaking some of the areas out to create matching coastlines. Then following the same structure on the mountains, rivers and forest steps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap.jpg 
Views:	999 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	19078  
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Thank you very much for giving it a try.
    Are the soft, thin mountains a style choice of yours? Or did you hold back because I encouraged it a tad too much in the text?

The scale of the mountains I did was out of choice. I was going for a whole world and wanted to keep the scale in a range that I thought worked.
    My debut novel, The Final Warden is available on Amazon.com in paperback and on Kindle.

Please visit my blog for more information about my writing and my art

Please visit my sketchbook on Conceptart.org
    TomCardin

Thanks a lot! I loved your map and wanted to make as ggod as yours. I'll try to follow your tutorial for the one I'm making right now!
    This is the link to my DA page. There's no maps yet, but some photos I would like to show to everyone. If you like one don't be shy and comment. Thank you!

Holy cow, even the tutorial is gorgeous.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast