Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Saderan – a tutorial

Map I don't believe it, my first map in Photoshop

Just wanted to thank 'Tear' for producing such a 'kick ass' tutorial and upload my first ever map using photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS 1 Final.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	385.6 KB 
ID:	19224  

Blog Entries

Why isn't this tutorial 5-star rated yet? :s

Every man and his dog wants a Tear map making for their story at the moment and this little puppy tells you exactly how to make one. Come on people... rate this sucker up so that it can claim its rightful place in the pantheon of rather smug, medal-wearing tutorials that jeer at lesser tuts.

Apart from that, I've had a few hours testing this out tonight and so far I am very pleased with the results. It's very easy to follow apart from the previously mentioned Clipping Mask confusion and also I found a place or two in the ocean section where it could do with telling you to deselect your alpha selection.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish the tut tomorrow and I'll post up my results so that Tear can recieve a warm, glowy feeling inside.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

you are a god amongst men

Blog Entries

Ok, so this is what I have so far from this tutorial. I thought I'd post an image in this thread as another example of what us lesser non-Tears can expect to achieve through this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya_Tear.jpg 
Views:	1481 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	19302

When I started this it was supposed to be a quick test to see what I can do with it, hence using the original Vaniya base map. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to carry on with this and see what I can get out of it in the end so I'll probably have to add the extra rivers etc. that I added to the Aronbor map.

Anyway... loving this tut. Excellent stuff, Tear. Thanks.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Great mountain chains, reduces/removes the need for foothills.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

An awesome tutorial!
    Sadly, I'm having a few problems with this tutorial...
    I'll be quite detailed here, so please excuse the wall of text.

(Oh, I am using Photoshop CS4)

Part 2 - Page 5
    After I've created the "ocean emphasis texture" layer,
    I can't "group with previous". I can, however, select both the "ocean emphasis texure" layer and the "ocean emphasis" layer and then group them together by doing:
    layer > group layers (or ctrl+G)

Now; I realise that it could simply be because I am using CS4, the point is; I don't know ...

My second problem is the step afterwards (which I attempted after grouping the "ocean emphasis texture" and the "ocean emphasis" layer with ctrl+G).
    When I move on it says that I should;
    Edit > Fill ... Pattern (wrinkles) - but there's my problem; I don't have the "wrinkles" pattern! (Or any other pattern for that matter, except "bubbles" and "tie dye")

So basically... How do I add more patterns?

I give many thanks in advance
    The end
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

I also have CS4 and I think it seems as if it only comes with two textures, but I discovered that if you click the arrow, you will see more textures pools, they've got names like 'Artistic Surfaces', 'Nature Patterns. I simply load append them all. I don't know whether this helps, but I think you will likely find the texture your missing this way.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Depending on the memory in your system, you may want to be careful with the patterns loaded - each one gets loaded into memory as you go and can slow you down after awhile. You can clear ones out you don't need by using the Preset manager (it's become my friend lately). that having been said, the builtin patterns are usually ok, it's when you end up with a set of 50 or so patterns at 1024x1024 that you might notice

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

After working on a 25,000 by 12,500 world map I think I am now a master of waiting for Photoshop. It was making Scratch disks 10 gig big. Quite disturbing seeing all my hard disk spacing being warped away.

But thats a good advice especially if you're working with large maps and are already having to deal with huge load times and process times.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast