Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to add a square grid as a layer?

Default How to add a square grid as a layer?

So I know how to add a basic square grid in Photoshop, but this is on top of every layer and is not its own layer. I have seen maps where the grid looks like it's its own layer, because the grid is more visible on the sea layer than the land layer, so I'm guessing they have a layer that is only a grid and then they can modify it from there like they modify every other map element. So how do you do that? The only thing I can think of is creating a new layer, getting out my line creation tool and literally just drawing a grid, but there has to be a more efficient way.

Here's an example of what I mean: https://www.deviantart.com/picantese...-Map-563638624

You'll see the grid is at least below the black coastline, so it must be a layer of some kind. It wouldn't be the standard 'add grid' in Photoshop
    Last edited by swiss; 09-24-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swiss View Post
    The only thing I can think of is creating a new layer, getting out my line creation tool and literally just drawing a grid
    This is the way

1) Create a new image which is the size of the squares you want. so for a 50px grid, make it a 50 x 50 image. Make sure it has a transparent background.
    2) Press ctrl+A to select all. Go to Edit -> Stroke. Select "inside". Set the width to how thick you want the lines to be.
    3) Go to Edit -> Define Pattern. Name it appropriately.
    4) On the actual image you want to put the grid on, create a new fill/adjustment layer. Pick pattern. Then select the grid pattern that you just made.
    5) Profit, etc etc.

You can make isometric/orthographic grids this way too. Although it's slightly more fiddly.
    Last edited by Larb; 09-25-2018 at 04:10 AM.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    1) Create a new image which is the size of the squares you want. so for a 50px grid, make it a 50 x 50 image. Make sure it has a transparent background.
    2) Press ctrl+A to select all. Go to Edit -> Stroke. Select "inside". Set the width to how thick you want the lines to be.
    3) Go to Edit -> Define Pattern. Name it appropriately.
    4) On the actual image you want to put the grid on, create a new fill/adjustment layer. Pick pattern. Then select the grid pattern that you just made.
    5) Profit, etc etc.

You can make isometric/orthographic grids this way too. Although it's slightly more fiddly.
    This!

The only problem is that you're basically turning a vector shape into a raster one, so if you want to change the size, you'll have to do it again. But that'll still be faster than penning all those lines by hand!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Thanks, I'll give this a try!

Similar to Larbs, instead if stroking the square, say it's 50px x 50px, fill it with black, then using the arrow keys nudge the selection down and to the right (each press of the key should move the 'marching ant' lines 1px at a time). Then press delete and define the pattern. I find this works well for square grids, I've tried the other way and found that the lines turn out thicker where the grids meet, maybe it's the way I've done it…

Once you've got your grid in place, play with opacity and bending modes, see Torstan's, aka Jonathon Roberts tutorials at Fatastic Maps for moe info, until it looks how you want.

If you're after other grids, I highly recommend spending about $5 on S.John Ross' excellent HexpaperPro font available from DrivethruRPG. It is so with the $$$$.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by swiss View Post
    So I know how to add a basic square grid in Photoshop, but this is on top of every layer and is not its own layer. I have seen maps where the grid looks like it's its own layer, because the grid is more visible on the sea layer than the land layer, so I'm guessing they have a layer that is only a grid and then they can modify it from there like they modify every other map element. So how do you do that? The only thing I can think of is creating a new layer, getting out my line creation tool and literally just drawing a grid, but there has to be a more efficient way.

Here's an example of what I mean: https://www.deviantart.com/picantese...-Map-563638624

You'll see the grid is at least below the black coastline, so it must be a layer of some kind. It wouldn't be the standard 'add grid' in Photoshop
    I see this as a good solution. As you can save the PSD file with the grid only.
    You might have a grid of 30inchesx 30 (just made of editable lines - the one you make with the pen, as mentioned)

and move the whole grid in a PSD file of 5x5inches or so.

And save it.

You can move this grid to different maps in the time.
    IDK if it makes sense for you. It is a long work but it is a single time work you can keep in your sources.

This will keep the best quality a good flexibility as you can apply different strokes and also can be shrinked without loosing the sharpness.

In my opinion, it is something which needs to be done at least once. Or you will find your self redoing the grid everytime you have to change the scale or if your customer changes his/her mind.

OH YESH I forgot to mention that for LARGE canvas you can still copy/paste groups of lines easily this way. OR you can also extend the lenght.. this is Just an opinion however. Something I found much more useful than a pixel grid.
    Last edited by RenflowerGrapx; 01-23-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RenflowerGrapx View Post
    OH YESH I forgot to mention that for LARGE canvas you can still copy/paste groups of lines easily this way. OR you can also extend the lenght.. this is Just an opinion however. Something I found much more useful than a pixel grid.
    Another way to recycle an existing grid made out of paths for a larger map than originally anticipated is to double it in size, copy the layer, and shift the second one half a square up and half a square to the right. Et voilà, a new grid 4x as large as the original, with the same mesh size!

Also, there are Photoshop brushes out there that have a pre-made grid. This one's pretty nice. Brushes are by definition raster data though, so you can't easily scale them up/down without messing up the width of the lines. So use with caution!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Another way to recycle an existing grid made out of paths for a larger map than originally anticipated is to double it in size, copy the layer, and shift the second one half a square up and half a square to the right. Et voilà, a new grid 4x as large as the original, with the same mesh size!

Also, there are Photoshop brushes out there that have a pre-made grid. This one's pretty nice. Brushes are by definition raster data though, so you can't easily scale them up/down without messing up the width of the lines. So use with caution!
    Yep! It is something I made as well and I forgot to mention.

I think to do something FOR WELL once is the only solution to be versatile "later".

Thank you for sharing this trick. I almost forgot about it

Guild Apprentice
    Blog Entries

Here is a very easy way I've made grid lines for a map as a new layer.

First. Open up a spreadsheet app like Excel or Calc. Set the column width and row height to match each other; ie 1inch x 1inch.

Take a screenshot.

Paste that as a new layer. Use the magic wand to get rid of the white space and then get rid of the rest of your screenshot leaving behind a grid.

Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast